During the recent D2 shortage, I tried to make my own candi syrup. There are a lot of recipes for homemade candi syrup, but I made and was disappointed by all of them. After chasing windmills for at least a few dozen hours, I've come up with a reasonable substitute for D2. It's close enough that I doubt I'll buy D2 again, but your mileage may vary.
Temps were at 5280ft above sea level, water boils about 10 degrees cooler here. You may need to adjust your temps accordingly.
Also, don't turn the heat up past medium. It should take about 45minutes from start to finish. If you heat it up too quickly it will behave poorly.
Small pot with tall sides
3oz Dextrose (corn sugar)
Add sugars to pot.
Add 1c H2O
Bring to a boil. At boiling add:
Stir well to dissolve
Heat mixture to 320*
Heat mixture to 310*
Add 1/2c H2O
Pour in mason/ball jar
Be careful when adding water as it will spit quite a bit at first. Only stir when adding ingredients, otherwise leave the pot alone.
I measured PPG and got 1.046 at the given concentration, and maybe 40SRM. Total batch weight was 515g. If your batch is a lot heavier/lighter than that you'll get a different PPG number.
Variation: Add 1c instead of 1/2c at the end if you want a thinner syrup that's great on French toast.
If you want to see the whole progression of this recipe, go here:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/candi-syrup-experiment-trying-clone-d2-220882/