« on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »
So to resurrect an old thread, I brewed up a bitter yesterday using Crisp Maris Otter. I had lots of dough balls at dough-in, followed by significant protein coagulation by the end of the mash. Runoff was very cloudy, even after roughly double my normal vorlauf. I also noticed a much larger volume of break at the end of the boil. I used Whirlfloc in the boil as I always do. Normally when I brew a 6 gal batch, I get 5.25-5.5 gallons into the fermentor, leaving most of the break material behind. This time I barely made 5 gal. And, of course, the wort was cloudy going into the fermentor. I'll report back after fermentation is complete, but I'll be going out to pick up some gelatin in the meantime.