Just a follow-up on this beer which I brewed June 1st.
- I used RO water and added 1/4tsp each Calcium Chloride and Gypsum to the mash and sparge water respectively. This was a crapshoot guess and I need to get Brunwater setup on my laptop for future water profile work
- I used a blend of Pilsner and Vienna malts for base malt instead of straight Pils
- Mash was 149 for about 90 minutes
- Yeast was a blend of one vial WLP300 and 3/4 packet rehydrated Fermentis WB06 Probably could have used even less, or ditched using it altogether with this beer
- I oxygentated the wort with Oxygen injection in the carboy for one minute and rocked it hard
- VERY active fermentation within 12 hours. Fermented at 63 degrees for 8 days and kegged it
I did not take an OG or FG reading. Tried to take an OG but didn't save enough wort during runoff.
The beer is quite dry and slightly tart with aroma of banana but hardly any flavor of it. Very little if any clove or bubble gum. It's a little thin as well. It's drinkable but not balanced quite the way I would like.
I'm thinking due to the tartness of the yeast ( the WB06 from what I gather) and the low mash temp making the beer pretty dry, next time I should shoot for a mash in the mid 150's and cut some of my bittering IBU to balance it a bit better. Additionally I'd like a bit more banana and bubble gum out of it but that's not as critical. My wife likes it and it is quite drinkable and light so I'm sure I'll have a chance to try brewing it again before long.
Thanks to those who contributed