« on: December 03, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »
So this weekend it happened...I got to try the beer from my first batch. I am a little indifferent about it...because of the following reasons.
1. It is an Irish Red which came with the kit. I am not a huge Irish Red fan as it reminds me of Killians Irish Red.
2. It reminds me of Killians Irish Red. ha.
3. It was a little lower on carbonation which isn't a huge deal but was expecting a little more head. I can pour the beer straight up and down and I get the desired 1-1.5 inches of head.
4. It smells a little like old beer (you know the smell when you walk into a place that just smells like beer is on the floor).
5. It really is lacking some complexity. A little sweet at the finish. It is super easy to drink ( I can drink one down in about 2 minutes) and my wife said "it is a little watery". Thanks for the thumbs up is what I said.
6. I wasn't able to get a good rolling boil (did it on my stove with a 15 gallon SS megapot) so my wort might have not been the greatest.
7. Super low visible fermentation activity (2 days of active signs) and then it was done.
8. No sediment at the bottom of the bottles like I was expecting, which is fine with me but was expecting the sediment.
9. FG was 1.01
1. It was my first homebrew and I am super excited to get started on the next one.
2. I think I have learned tons since my first brew day which will help with my process (i.e. boiling, hops, etc.).
3. It is not bad and can easily get through the 2 cases.
4. AHA forum was a huge help to me and I thank you all.
So, overall not a bad brew but by far not my favorite. Practice will help me and I am excited to brew the next batch.
Thanks for letting me share.