So last weekend we made the Cherry Choc Stout from Zymurgy and didn't come close to either OG or FG. I've been all-grain brewing for over 2 years and this year we've made almost 200 gallons! Since we got our grain mill over the summer the last 20 batches have all been over 75% efficiency and we usually come within a point of our FG. With this stout we did a ton of new things and just wondered if anyone sees any big no-no's. We're mostly concerned with our horrid FG. I'd really like to not repeat this mistake. Estimated OG was 1.077 and we got 1.062; estimated FG was 1.019 and we got a whopping 1.038 (after 8 days fermenting)! Here is the list of new stuff that could have caused problems.
*high mash temp of 158F
*6 lbs. of caramunich I and chocolate dark malts in 17 lb recipe
*50 min mash
*batch sparge (only done this twice)
*5 ounces Ghiradeeli Bakers Choc in mash and 5 in boil at 15 minutes
*kind of a lower boil this time; not sure why
*3/4 lb lactose at flame out