Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Converting All Grain to Partial Mash  (Read 6964 times)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Converting All Grain to Partial Mash
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:42 am »
Does anyone have a calculator for converting all grain recipes to partial mash?  I am doing the partial mash system written about by Chris Colby in the October 2006 issue of BYO.  I have a two gallon cooler I converted into a mini-mash ton.  I think the most it can handle is 4lbs or so of grain.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
Re: Converting All Grain to Partial Mash
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:45:49 am »
Hard to beat Beersmith, but I used the HBD recipator for a long time when I did partial mash.  Here is the link http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

What I used to do is calculate my grain bill based onthe max size mash I could handle, and then figure out how much DME or LME to add to get to my OG.  Although I do all-grain now, I made some of my best beers as partial mash.
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline jrprucha

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:24:36 pm »
I have used the same 2 gallon cooler method with 4 pounds of grain for years.  Works great. 
I've never seen a need for going all grain.

Here is the best description I've read on recipe conversion.  It came from 1998 AHA comvention.

Converting All-Grain Recipes to Extract / Partial Mash
©1998 by Ken Schwartz

link to pdf file:
http://members.cox.net/steve.krieske/Extract%20Brewing%20Guide.pdf

Happy partial mashing,
Jim Prucha

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:26:54 pm »
+eleventy billion to Ken's stuff.  That's where I learned to do partial mash and build a tun from a cooler.  His other work on batch sparging is what got me headed down that road.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:32:14 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell