Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Stand 3.0  (Read 48350 times)

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Brew Stand 3.0
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:32 am »
I suppose I should post a few pictures to show you all why I'm selling my totally awesome 3 tier folding brew stand (shameless plug).

This is Brew Stand 3.0.  I don't weld and I shy away from gas plumbing.  The beauty of these shortcomings is that this took the local professional welder five days of working on it in between projects to get it done.  Dropped off the plans last Friday, approved the estimate on Monday, stopped by for as many add-ons and "oh, can you do this, too" items as I could think of, and had the stand back at 12:30 p.m. yesterday.  Dropped it by a good plumber on my way back to the office, and had it back with gas lines in an hour.  Nearly killed myself getting it out of the truck without assistance (it weighs about 200+ lbs), but it's safe and sound in its new home in the garage.  It still needs paint, which may happen tomorrow.  After that, I'll bolt up the casters, pump, CFC, and get some plumbing fittings on order. 

Here are a couple of shots.

I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Brew Stand 3.0
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:44:01 am »
Very nice! 
Dan Chisholm

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
This is a Brutus build right? Looks nice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »
Thanks.  It's a single tier stand and I suppose it's pretty similar to the Brutus system minus a direct fired mash tun.  But I didn't really pay much attention to Brutus versus the B3 2100 or any number of single tier stands I looked at in getting this one on paper.  After brewing on a multi-tier system for a few years, I put it together based on my equipment (plus the new 20 gallon mash tun/kettle and how I brew.  

I just drew it up on paper and, ultimately, laid out masking tape on the kitchen floor to make sure the kettles would fit before taking it to the welder.  I'm going to batch sparge on it and will be insulating the mash tun later this week.  No HERMS or RIMS ... yet.

Got it painted today, but I may add another layer of the glossier satin stove paint since on my other stand, the flat stuff rubbed off really easily.  Got the plumping ordered, pumps and CFC mounted, casters on, etc.  Will test fire later this week and plan to brew next weekend.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:34:58 am »
New system, new problems, about sums it up.  But, that said, I think I'll have them solved by the second brew.  Last Sunday, I started at 7 pm and went until 3 a.m. by the time all was cleaned up and stored.  Ultimately, I was successful, but I spent the first half of the brew session solving problems.

1.  I had several leaky jets on the new burners.  This was not solved during the brew session.  I went to Home Depot on Monday and bought some gas tape to reseal about 8 jets.  One wouldn't even screw in properly without the tape.

2.  Speaking of burners, these new burners are hot.  Next issue was my having my HLT positioned too far back over the burner.  I melted my quick disconnect on the HLT and those things are rated for 250 degrees.  Had a spare on a piece of hose that I rigged up so I could keep going.  New camlock disconnects were on order, but hadn't arrived by the inaugural brew.

3.  My hoses were too long and my pump was cavitating a fair amount.  Shortened the hoses and that helped a little, but it took forever to drain the HLT into the MLT.  That hose with the disconnect was probably letting in air.  I think another disconnect wasn't sealing properly.  As a result, I lost a lot of heat in the transfer and mashed in about 11 degrees low.  I also didn't account for water under the false bottom, which  attributed to this heat loss.  Added nearly 2 gallons of boiling water and was still 2 degrees low, but that was close enough.  Added a half hour to my mash time to be sure I got conversion.

Recirculation on the mash went well and I saved time not having to vauralauf (sp).

Bought a high flow impeller for the pump for about $20, which should work better and hopefully prevent a lot of the cavitation should I continue to get a little air ahead of the pump.  Will also preheat the tun next time and account for the water under the false bottom.   

Got the gloss stove paint from Amazon and got it sprayed yesterday.  I can't tell you how much better this stuff is over the flat black stove paint.  The flat paint was rubbing off two weeks after application (and I did a good prep).  The gloss/satin stove paint looks much better and doesn't rub off.

Also got my camlock fittings in and put the high flow impeller on the March Pump.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:24:05 am by dcbc »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:08:30 pm »
That is a beauty for sure. It will last several lifetimes. I have an all SST Brutus 10 clone that looks very similar. Yours is a bit wider but close to the same width and height. You are going to love it for sure. It takes a while to get use to the pumps but other than that it works like a well lit brewstand.  ;)

Very nice!  :)
Ron Price

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:30:56 pm »
Thanks.  I have used this pump for whirlpooling and transfer to the fermenter on my last brew stand, but I think I never realized how I don't just need to prime to get liquid into the pump, but to get air out of the line leading to the pump. 

The biggest problem was not accounting for the water under the false bottom.  I had used a cooler with a bazooka screen up to this point. 

Attached a water proof switch for the pump to the stand this afternoon.  Going to get the pump wired to the switch and wires run through conduit by tomorrow afternoon if all goes according to plan.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:19 am »
Did you do a test run in with just water first? I mean a complete brew start-to-finish just like you normally would minus the grain & hops. Great way to test pumps, flow rates, leaks, etc..before comitting to production.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:57 am »
Gorgeous!  I would love to have a horizontal brew stand but that is for another day.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:31 am »
Did you do a test run in with just water first? I mean a complete brew start-to-finish just like you normally would minus the grain & hops. Great way to test pumps, flow rates, leaks, etc..before comitting to production.

+1

This is what I did when I built my brewstand. Can't hurt.
Ron Price

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »

No.  I didn't have a chance.  With two little ones running around, I'm lucky to have enough time to brew and do the little things to get the stand up and running.  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do this before the next one.  I think I have everything covered this time. 

Got the switch wired up to the march pump today.  I ended up leaving the plug end on the March Pump and just cut an extension cord in half and wired it to the switch.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:20:31 pm by dcbc »

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »
Just poured my second pint of my first batch on this system.  Despite my issues and work arounds, the beer is wonderful.  This is my first Janet's Brown Ale.  Good stuff!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »
Sweet!
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 02:05:45 pm »
Batch number 2 on the new system is in the books and a Dortmunder is in the fermenter.  Most of the issues of batch 1 were solved.  The new high flow impeller in the March pump worked wonders with transfer times and the extra strike water to account for the space under the false bottom worked great.  I still missed my rest temp by about two degrees, but that was manageable.  Hit my numbers in the end and can't wait for the next one.  Only wrinkle was that the switch box got a little hot along with the rest of that side of the stand when the boil kettle was going.  I put some stick on insulation between it and the stand and think that will probably keep it cool enough.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:18:45 am »
Just figured I'd finish this thread off where I should have started it.  My drawings that I gave the welder.