Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shrimp and Grits  (Read 10872 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Shrimp and Grits
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »
I've always wanted to eat "shrimp and grits" which is a real Southern Lowlands dish. After searching on Google I quickly found out that it's a technique not a hard and fast recipe. Well it may be to some, but there's some 1.8 million results on Google with no recipe being the same. ;D

I used what was available in the kitchen. Serves two.

For the shrimp:

12 extra large shrimp thawed, peeled and cleaned
2 slices bacon chopped
1/2 medium white onion, sliced
1/3 red bell pepper large dice
1 tbs garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp red pepper powder
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp "Cajun seasoning"
1/2 cup Bota-box Pinot Grigio

The grits:

1/2 cup instant Quaker grits
2 cups water
2 thickish slices of smoked Gruyere, diced
1/4 tsp salt

First make the grits- as they boil add the cheese and stir stir stir. When almost incorporated and the grits still easy to stir cover and remove from the heat and set aside. For this dish I wanted them to flow like Risotto on the plate.

Render the bacon over medium low heat. Remove from skillet leaving fat. Add onion and saute. As they approach translucency add the bell pepper, garlic and spices then saute for a minute or so and cover. When the onions are clear deglaze with the wine and add the shrimp.

When they start to turn pinkish cover and remove from the heat.

Stir the bacon into the cheesy grits and spoon onto hot plates- then divide the shrimp and sauce over the spreading grits. Serve immediately. This is best served hot.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Shrimp and Grits
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:12 pm »
I do absolutely love shrimp and grits, and it's such an unlikely combo.  There's a oyster bar in Mobile that serves an excellent one-it even has a little pile of crawfish in the middle of the bowl.
Try it with a little new Mexico green chile, it's really a great variation.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:59 pm »
I do absolutely love shrimp and grits, and it's such an unlikely combo.  There's a oyster bar in Mobile that serves an excellent one-it even has a little pile of crawfish in the middle of the bowl.
Try it with a little new Mexico green chile, it's really a great variation.

Oh yes. This is going into rotation for sure. I'll sub my Hatch chiles for the red bell pepper next time. This is real comfort food.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:42 am »
I use chicken stock and cream in place of some of the grits water and substitute poblano peppers for the green pepper.  It's nice to add some yellow bell pepper for color, too.  
Why INSTANT grits?
Love me some shrimp and grits.  Good bacon is the key.

<Edit to spell chickem right>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:34:20 am by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:51 am »
Instant grits... Why? That's what was available. BTW I don't think I can tell the difference other than cooking time.  ::)

There. I said it.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:27:56 am »
When I was living in Mobile, it was so easy to get great fresh shrimp.  Here in Denver, it's frozen shrimp now.  I whole frozen shrimp and remove the shells, head and tail and use that to make a quick shrimp stock. 

Also, I like to make a good creamy sauce, after rendering down the bacon, add about 4-5 teaspoons of flour to make a quick roux and cook about 10 minutes to get a good light tan color.  Mix in some of the shrimp stock (which you can use for the grits too) and cream.  Add some worchestershire sauce, Crystal's hot sauce and some Tony Chaachere's.  I love taso ham (which I get from a friend in Baton Rouge, but will try to make my own this summer), and I add this in as well.  Great thing about Shrimp n Grits, you can make it 100 different ways and it will taste good everytime!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »
We had our annual Mardi gras party Saturday, my wife made gumbos and I did shrimp and grits.  I couldn't get people to actually put the shrimp mixture on the grits so next year I'll probably mix everything together.  Of course this is in the desert southwest where few people eat grits, in fact the only grits at the store were the instant ones.  One person did use grits in his gumbo instead of rice, I need to try that sometime.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »
Why INSTANT grits?

+1 on the instant grits??   :P

This dish has fallen off of the family radar for a couple of years now.  I don't know why.  It's going back into the rotation this evening.  Thanks for the bump euge!  (I'll forgive you the instant grits faux pas - this time   ;)  ) 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »
Looks fantastic euge...I also love shrimp and grits. This will make a nice Fat Tuesday meal.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:40 pm »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:04:59 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:36 am »
My local grocer has 5 types of 5 minute grits (instant) but no regular so I bought quaker brand yesterday. Not even some fancy Hodgson Mill grits to be had... Usually I'll just use corn meal to make grits or polenta but wanted "white" grits.

Lunch today? Maybe.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 08:40:54 pm »
Made this today for dinner.  Can't get the picture to upload.  I sauteed onions and garlic and then added 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 half-and-half to make the grits.  Threw in gruyere and smoked gouda along with some butter at the end.

For the shrimp I sauteed the onion, garlic, and half a red bell pepper in the bacon fat then added some red chili paste, cajun seasoning, Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and white wine.   

It was very good and I cleaned my plate.  This was the first time I ate shrimp and grits and it was an interesting plate.  It was really nice for a change but I can't see myself making this on a regular basis.  Maybe more of a once a year change of pace dish. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:41:48 pm »
Made this again for lunch last week. Subbed in one of my frozen roasted hatch chiles. Woowee! Such a much deeper richer flavor than a bell pepper. More like a bell pepper on steroids! And no white wine but used seafood stock instead. And sharp cheddar instead of the Gruyère. No cajun spice. And a nice handful of chopped cilantro form the neighbors garden.

Despite the variation on the ingredients there little change in the main flavor. Spicy. I actually prefer the second attempt.

I can see it over rice but I just love the texture of the grits vs the unctuous sauce and bite of the shrimp.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:25 am »
Made this again for lunch last week. Subbed in one of my frozen roasted hatch chiles. Woowee! Such a much deeper richer flavor than a bell pepper. More like a bell pepper on steroids! And no white wine but used seafood stock instead. And sharp cheddar instead of the Gruyère. No cajun spice. And a nice handful of chopped cilantro form the neighbors garden.

Despite the variation on the ingredients there little change in the main flavor. Spicy. I actually prefer the second attempt.

I can see it over rice but I just love the texture of the grits vs the unctuous sauce and bite of the shrimp.

Maybe you need tocook them more euge. I mean they shouldn't bite should they?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce