Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Class Picking Up Steam  (Read 6685 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Brewing Class Picking Up Steam
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:34:53 pm »
Last fall I pitched the idea of a brewing and beer appreciation class to the local community college.  They don't do much by way of advertising other than put out a course schedule, and I admittedly didn't help with flyers or anything.  The first class had only 3 students but I went ahead and taught because I figured it might help get the word out so to speak.  Recruited one person to our homebrew club out of that group so it wasn't a total waste.

I was scheduled to teach it again this month but as of yesterday I had three students who had paid and I was going to have them cancel the class.  I was whining to the community education director about how I was surprised there wasn't more interest in brewing given the seeming popularity in many areas of the country.  Then this morning one more person signed up and paid so the class is on.  Right after that I get another email that two more are signed up.  Don't know if they paid but if so that might be six people.  That would be a great class size, enough so they will fill up some of the time with questions and relieve me of talking for two hours straight.  They'll still get some individual attention too.  The class is four sessions on consecutive Thursday evenings.  The last class meets at the local brewpub for a brewery tour and a flight of their beers, they had something like ten last time so its a nice platform for tasting and discussing beer styles.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Brewing Class Picking Up Steam
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:53:52 pm »
Excellent!!!  Be sure to mention the forums. They're a great source for enhancing their brewing knowledge, among many other sources of course. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »
This sounds like a fun class.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:01 pm »
I've included several brewing forums including this one on the sheet of references I hand out.

We make a simple extract beer on week one, extract with specialty grains on week two, AG on week three (probably at my house unless someone doesn't want to drive there), and the brewpub on week four.

I just found out that the last two students had some kind of conflict so I'm back to four students.  So much for my delusions of a packed house and me down front in a bow tie and sport coat with elbow patches.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:05 pm »
That sounds really fun to teach, and probably to take too.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:14:33 am »
Very cool Lennie, I'm glad you're doing it.  It will grow :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 02:21:18 am »
I believe this is how Charlie Papazian got started, back in the day.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:07:18 am »
Its a great excuse to brew beer on a weeknight and the money will cover materials and gas.  I'm no Charlie P but I'd love to generate a little more interest in brewing and good beer in this area.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:24 am »
Up to six students now, I might even make a few bucks off this deal.

I'm brewing a "kit" tonight, albeit one of my own making (hey I gotta drink the beer).  Its an American wheat style with orange peel for finishing hops.  OG 1.042, 14IBU from Magnum.  My wife loves this concoction.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:40 am »
So, you're gonna convince them of how much fun whitewashing the fence is, and get them to do all of the work, right?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:26:42 pm »
I was thinking I'd let them have the fun of brewing and bring me the results for extensive testing.  But the house does need painted.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:54 am »
I did end up with six students.  On week one we made a mock kit brew with just LME, hops and orange peel. It was a wheat extract (50% wheat) and I turned it into a witbier with orange peel as the late addition and Belgian yeast.  Week two was a DME brew with specialty grains, I used light DME and got my color from crystal and pale chocolate so they could see how to do that.  This week everyone is coming to my house for a mash demo and a tasting (no alcohol on campus).  I'm looking forward to showing off all my equipment.  Last week we're doing a field trip to the local brewpub for a tour, discussion of English beer styles (the pub's forte) and of course a tasting.

Two of the guys have made wine so I'll recruit them for the wine club, and I am thinking I'll get at least three new members for the beer club.  So mission accomplished in that respect.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:55 am »
Sounds like you're doing a great job, Lennie.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:44 am »
I don't know about that, but they do fill out an eval form at the end so I will get feedback at that point.  A couple of the people have purchased equipment kits that come with an ingredient kit, so there is at least some active interest.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 05:11:38 pm »
Got a couple of new brew club member from the 2012 class, they've been attending pretty regularly.

The 2013 class already has eight students.  I worked up a Powerpoint presentation for week one, and will be brewing a simple porter using a jar of LME and some UK Phoenix hops.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO