Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whether or not to dry hop  (Read 11421 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Whether or not to dry hop
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »
So, I normally always dry hop my ipa's.  Even some apa's too.  However, typically beers will hit their stride two to three weeks after I start drinking it.  I've got my new black ipa, which I'm not going to dry hop.  It had several hefty late minute additions.

I know each technique will impart different aspects of the hop. 

So basically I'm considering on my next few ipas, just bumping up the late minute additions and skipping the dry hop step altogether.  Anyone else do this? 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Whether or not to dry hop
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »
I've gone the other direction.  I don't do late additions for those styles very often any more and always dry hop.  I find that the dry hops give me much more of the aroma I'm looking for than late additions do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:44 pm »
I've gone the other direction.  I don't do late additions for those styles very often any more and always dry hop.  I find that the dry hops give me much more of the aroma I'm looking for than late additions do.

I agree, to my nose my dry hopped beers have much more satisfying aroma compared to my hefty late addition beers. Plus it bothers me to add a bunch of hops for such a short period of time. I just feel like I'm not getting the potential out of them.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »
In addition to dry hopping for all of my IIPA's and IPA"s I've added a 60 minutes hop stand.  I know it adds more time to the brew day but I feel like the IPA's benefit significantly from the hops stand addition. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:29:53 pm »
In addition to dry hopping for all of my IIPA's and IPA"s I've added a 60 minutes hop stand.  I know it adds more time to the brew day but I feel like the IPA's benefit significantly from the hops stand addition.

Do you hopstand in addition to the typical late additions, or in place of them? I've been reading about the hopstand thing lately and I'm wondering how it compares with hopbursting starting at 15-20 mins.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:55:31 pm »
Yes, I still add small amounts of late hop additions, but I save most of the hops for the stand, and for dry hopping.  I really enjoy the hop forward flavors that I perceive are a result of the hop stand.   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:36:18 pm »

Sorry, what's a hop stand?  If it's like a hand stand, I can't do one.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:31:56 pm »

It's like a keg stand but with a randle ;D

seriously, If I remember correctly it is when you add hops at flameout and let it sit for 15 minutes or so befoe cranking up your chiller.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:43:15 pm »

Oh, ok seems simple.  That's what I do already anyway.  10 gals of APA today, added an oz of Amarillo at flameout, let it sit for 15 minutes or so and then turned on the water.  Apparently I hop stood without knowing it.  I just call it steeping.

It's like a keg stand but with a randle ;D

seriously, If I remember correctly it is when you add hops at flameout and let it sit for 15 minutes or so befoe cranking up your chiller.

Offline hopshead

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »
My answer, add the dry hops, use lots of late addition hops in the boil, enough bittering addition hops for a firm bitterness, and first wort hops.  Can you tell I love the hops.  Obviously, a brewer with a limited hop supply and budget should scale back, but for me, add plenty of hops always. 

Cheers.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:58 am »
I have tried the hop stand (aka "aroma hop steeping") after knockout.  I usually wait until the temp gets below 170F and then turn off the chiller.  Then I add the hops for steeping.  Keep in mind that pasteurization still occurs if temps are above 140F (a minor concern since we're talking about hops, though), a minor bump in IBU's occurs, and that the flash point for most hop oils are in the low 100's (see post by Jeff R. elsewhere on the forum).  Given the flashpoint issue, I'm not sure how much hop aroma one gets from hop steeping and from CO2 scrubbing during fermentation.  I haven't done a true test, but I'm leaning towards what Denny's doing and considering dry hopping over hop steeping.  I still like hop flavor, so the 20 and 10 minute additions still go in the kettle.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:40:48 pm »
Does dry-hopping provide any flavour or is the addition only aroma?  My normal APA routine is 60/15/0 but I may change to 60/15/dry based on this thread and see.  Just wondering if I need to adjust that 15 to 20 or 10.  Which provides the most flavour?

Then, when can you dry hop effectively?  Do I need to wait for a period of time before adding dry hops to the primary?  I don't bother with secondary.  For the few IPA's I've done this with, I ferment for 7 and then add dry hops for 7 before bottling.  Is this the best way or can I add them earlier or should I add them later?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »
Then, when can you dry hop effectively?  Do I need to wait for a period of time before adding dry hops to the primary?  I don't bother with secondary.  For the few IPA's I've done this with, I ferment for 7 and then add dry hops for 7 before bottling.  Is this the best way or can I add them earlier or should I add them later?

I wait until I'm within a few points of my target FG so there's still a little bit of fermentation activity going on, but it's really winding down. I don't know whether I buy it, but the idea is that any O2 pulled in with the hops can get scrubbed out during the final day or two of active fermentation. Then I'll dry hop for at least a week. So I'm generally adding my dry hops around day 5 or so and bottling somewhere between day 12 and day 20.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:54 pm »
I don't dry hop any set number of days after I start fermentation.

I dry hop a # of days in reference to what I want to DRINK the beer at it's peak.

I make a beer, ferment it out, condition it, and then when I want it on tap in about two weeks, I dry hop the heck out of it from no less than 7 days, and as many as 20 days, with leaf hops.  I try to do this warm.  I usually then get the beer off the hops, and serve on tap.  The beer peaks around a month or so after I add the dry hops (anywhere from 1-4 oz).  I don't think it would be any different if I bottled.  I know sometimes you want to rush a beer, but I'd rather have AWESOME hoppy beers than to have a pretty-good hoppy beer quickly.  And in my process, this is what I find gives me the best hoppy beers (IPAs and small DIPAs)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 02:25:40 pm »
I decided what to do.  I couldn't do it.  I could not, NOT DRY HOP!!!  It goes against everything I stand for! 8)  Just tossed 2 oz of Simcoe in the fermenter.

I'm always happy with a nice aroma from Simcoe.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"