Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wine barrel aged beer  (Read 11160 times)

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
Wine barrel aged beer
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
Id adquired a wine barrel, and i was thinking of aging a barley wine inside it.
Wich cleaning do i need to make to the barrell? is it possible to use it?
Thanks!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Wine barrel aged beer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »
If it is freshly does then just use it. I'm Aging a saison in Chardonnay bbls right now. The character from the Chardonnay really compliments the saison.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Wine barrel aged beer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:37:33 pm »
I agree, if it is fresh and smells good then I would just fill it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:40:03 am »
If it is freshly does then just use it. I'm Aging a saison in Chardonnay bbls right now. The character from the Chardonnay really compliments the saison.
The club did a Saison in a wine barrel, it produced a yummy beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »
Absolutely it's possible to use the barrely without sanitizing it. Try and fill the barrel before the barrel staves dry out. That's going to be a nice complex barley wine. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline ignaciog182

• 1st Kit
Wine barrel aged beer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »
Thanks!!!

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:25:05 am »
Do the chemical additives in wine harm living yeast in the barrel? The reason I ask is because my port barrel definitely has potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite in it. I hope to be using it for a sour wheat wine soon and I'm wondering if this might make it hard for the bugs to survive.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »
At the concentrations they use in the wine, it will likely inhibit the bugs you would add.  But it is not at the normal concentration any more, it is massively reduced because it was emptied.  It should be fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Wine barrel aged beer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:24 pm »
FYI, I hear there is a type of bacteria that is added white wine bbls that produces a malolactic acid IIRC correctly.  I recently added some very dry saison to some white wine bbls and the beer did continue to ferment in the bbls. I have no idea how accurate this info is. I tried to do some Internet research but could not find anything.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »
FYI, I hear there is a type of bacteria that is added white wine bbls that produces a malolactic acid IIRC correctly.  I recently added some very dry saison to some white wine bbls and the beer did continue to ferment in the bbls. I have no idea how accurate this info is. I tried to do some Internet research but could not find anything.

I cannot confirm this, but I do know that in cider making, (and possibly in white wine making) malo-lactic bacteria are added after fermentation to convert malic acid present in apples to lactic acid. I would guess this is what you are referring to.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »

I cannot confirm this, but I do know that in cider making, (and possibly in white wine making) malo-lactic bacteria are added after fermentation to convert malic acid present in apples to lactic acid. I would guess this is what you are referring to.
Yes, it is done in some wine making and is called a malolactic fermentation.  The lactic acid is smoother and softer than the malic acid.  It is more common in chardonnay than other grapes.  The bacteria are typically oenococcus.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Wine barrel aged beer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 05:23:27 am »
Well, I believe our bbls were treated with this type of bacteria. Tastes awesome in saison, not sure you would want it in other styles though.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 01:11:11 pm »
For what it's worth the bacteria can also produce a lot of diacetyl, which is why some chardonnays are buttery.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:26:41 pm »

I'm looking for a Chard barrel...what size do you have and where did you buy it?

I recently tried a Saison that was aged in a Chard barrel that I really liked.  The oak tannins work very well with the esters and phenols in the Saison.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 01:39:47 pm »
I'm looking for a Chard barrel...what size do you have and where did you buy it?

I recently tried a Saison that was aged in a Chard barrel that I really liked.  The oak tannins work very well with the esters and phenols in the Saison.

I really gotta work on my reading comprehension.  Read that and all that popped into my head was...

Joe