Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Hottest Chile...Carolina Reaper?  (Read 23567 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
New Hottest Chile...Carolina Reaper?
« on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:04 pm »
I've been following the mad race that seems to be going on to develop the hottest chile.  I am currently growing the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain chile, the current Guinness Book record holder weighing in at ~1.4 million Scoville units.  But it looks like it is now being challenged by the Trinidad Morouga/Brain Strain chile, and now the Carolina Reaper.  Funnily, and perhaps, pathetically, there is some dissension among certain growers.  Accusations of "numbers fudging", "slightly changing the chile's name"...are some of the charges waged by certain Aussie growers.  Oh well.  Here's a couple of vids concerning the Carolina Reaper.  I'll be ordering some of these seeds for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp2s7k56dfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4trgfNA48&feature=player_embedded

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Hottest Chile...Carolina Reaper?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »
WTF do you do with those, Jim?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »
WTF do you do with those, Jim?

+1,000,000 scoville - Jalapeno's can be too hot for me, what on earth do you do with that much (ring of) firepower?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »
They would likely be useful in anesthesia production but I can't imagine eating them.   :o

I like hot peppers but Hungarian Yellows were the end of the line for me.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »
They would likely be useful in anesthesia production but I can't imagine eating them.   :o

Paul

I love and use habaneros frequently, but that's my limit.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 04:29:12 pm »
I'm growing some bhut jolokia because someone gave me seeds, but I'm with Denny.  One pepper would be fun for the novelty of it, but when one pepper overwhelms a pot of chili . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:49:07 am »
I would think one bhut jolokia, would take over a vat of chili. A garden center by me was selling little “ghost chili” plants  and I was tempted to buy one, but then I realized instead trying to grow them, I could just shoot cop grade pepper spray in my mouth.   I love hot and spicy food, but over 1,000,000 SHU....
Mark

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:50 am »

Paul

I like habaneros as well, I prefer my peppers to have some flavor as well as a bit of heat.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:54:00 pm »
I'm growing the Scorpion partly for fun, and to make a sauce with.  There are a couple of ex-Army guys at my work barking about wanting to eat a whole Butch T Scorpion.  It will be a lot of fun.  I've also become aware that some of the regular chile eaters you find on youtube are eating these chiles for the endorphin rush.  Sick...

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:04:15 pm »
I can't imagine how hot they are.  The hottest I'll go is the merciless peppers of Quetzalacatenango....grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.
Mark

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

Paul

I like habaneros as well, I prefer my peppers to have some flavor as well as a bit of heat.

I like habaneros too, in moderation.

The problem I had with Yellow Hungarians could have been caused by the conditions I grew them in.  I lived in Lincoln, NE and had a very productive garden but it can get hot and dry there in late summer. 

We made chili one afternoon and put less than 1/2 a pepper and only a few seeds in 1.5 gallons of chili.  We thought we were going to die when we tasted it.  I'd swear it could have peeled paint off a car and it just kept getting hotter.  We gave a few peppers away but no one ever asked for more.   ;)  Maybe I should give them another try.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 01:44:50 pm »
On the Moruga Scorpion:

"The Moruga is a great value because you can use one or two a week to heat up all of your meals. It also makes delicious Hot Sauces and can be used as a garden pest repellent....or to strip your garage floor."

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 01:59:10 pm »
On the Moruga Scorpion:

"The Moruga is a great value because you can use one or two a week to heat up all of your meals. It also makes delicious Hot Sauces and can be used as a garden pest repellent....or to strip your garage floor."

;D

www.dennybrew.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 03:31:27 pm »
I put about 2oz of dried African Bird's Eye chiles in a kilo batch of hot pork sausage a couple months ago. The delicious sausages are so fiery they can cause gastric disturbance in a major way. I ate two sausages and spent the rest of the week swearing they would never be made that way again!

I'm in the Habanero camp. While packing a considerable punch they have a great flavor and I like a small amount in salsa. Jalapeños, unless you get the rare hot crop just don;t cut it anymore.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 12:19:48 am »
I would think one bhut jolokia, would take over a vat of chili. A garden center by me was selling little “ghost chili” plants  and I was tempted to buy one, but then I realized instead trying to grow them, I could just shoot cop grade pepper spray in my mouth.   I love hot and spicy food, but over 1,000,000 SHU....
You're probably right, but free seeds :)

Habs are great in moderation but are often too hot for me.  Awesome flavor and not too bad if you strip out the seeds and ribs.  I don't think Salvador Molly's does that for their Great Balls of Fire though.  Talk about gastric disturbance!
Tom Schmidlin