Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My all electric brewing system  (Read 24436 times)

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
My all electric brewing system
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:41 pm »
I have recently completed my brewing system. It is a single tier, three vessel system. The boil kettle is powered by a 5500 watt element, and controlled by PWM circuit with a dial that I made. The Heat exchanger is powered by a 1500 watt element and controlled by a PID controller. I have created a flow manifold on the front to control where the flow from my pump is going. I incorporated an electric ball valve on the output of the pump to control flow for recirculation. I tried to keep the profile small and compact and in doing so used a hard plumbing concept with quick release camlock fittings to make it easy to remove the vessels for cleaning. Here is my baby.

You can see my entire build thread on homebrewtalk.com

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/how-about-another-e-rig-150992/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:18:23 pm by brewmoor »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: My all electric brewing system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:48:33 pm »
Looks like Homebrewtalk doesn't allow hot-linking so nobody can see your pics.  You need to host them somewhere else for us to see them.
Joe

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:56:31 pm »
That is strange! I am seeing them when I look at the post. Cache maybe? I will see what I can do to link from somewhere else.

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:15:18 pm »
I tried to link from my picasa album. Hope this sticks.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:31:52 pm »
Nice job!

I always enjoy seeing the results of the time, energy, and passion folks put into their rigs.
Just brew it...

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »
I tried to link from my picasa album. Hope this sticks.

Looks like that did the trick - pics show up now
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:49:18 pm »
Very neat looking system. Have you tried it out yet? How's is working for you?
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:30:35 pm »
I think the liquid disconnect panel is like the hood ornament on a rolls royce. IOW: nice system, love the liquid panel.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:36:20 pm »
I have done two batches on it. First batch I had an issue with the homemade false bottom. I tossed it and bought one for sake kegs.

Second batch (yesterday) went really well. The only issue I am still having is figuring out the heat loss when going from BK to mash tun. I account for the grain temp. I think I am getting too much loss from the copper piping. So yesterday I installed thick black pipe insulation to the copper pipes going to the mash tun and going to the heat transfer coil. I think that will help a bunch. It was really cold in my garage yesterday too.

All the electronics work perfectly. The BK gets 12 gallons to a boil in about 30 minutes. I played with the heat coil a bit at mash out and it seems like I could step mash pretty easy if I want. All in all I am happy with it. As soon as I get the process down a bit more, I think the flow for brew day will be great. I don't have much to compare it too. I have been doing full boil partial mash brews until this. This is my first AG setup.

Offline hop

• 1st Kit
    • Mad Alchemist
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:24:41 pm »
Holy awesome. Love it. I'm moving toward electric and I wish I could rock something this complex. For now, I'm starting simple.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 11:35:58 am »
Nice
I'll add that I dont see a heat sink for the relays though.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:27:40 pm »
The heat sinks are there. You can kind of see one of them in the main picture of the rig. Look on the shelf to the right. I cut holes in the box and sealed them to the box. Two SSR's mounted to one big heatsink and the 120v ssr has its own small one. I work in IT. I used some old CPU heat sinks I found on our junk pile. drilled holes and tapped them.

Offline mybrewshop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:00:11 pm »
Cool.  You do need some "Batman" labels on those switches though.   ;D  I just bought a 30A GFCI for my own electric brew setup that I am working on.  Costs me $128.00.  Yikes!  I also bought 120ft of 10/3 wire that cost me $119.00 Yikes again.  Need to buy my PID and SSR and that will be another $100 or so.  Tripple yikes......and so on. :o
"A man needs to eat."  -Angel Batista; Dexter

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:24:33 am »
Cool.  You do need some "Batman" labels on those switches though.   ;D  I just bought a 30A GFCI for my own electric brew setup that I am working on.  Costs me $128.00.  Yikes!  I also bought 120ft of 10/3 wire that cost me $119.00 Yikes again.  Need to buy my PID and SSR and that will be another $100 or so.  Tripple yikes......and so on. :o

I don't think you're allowed to complain about cost when going down this path. To me it's like a guy driving a Hummer (H1) and complaining about gas costs.  ;)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline brewmoor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 09:52:54 am »
My method?  Don't look at the costs. I decided not to add it all up. I have a guess of about $1500 total. I got all the metal from the second hand store. Habitat Reuse Center. I tried my best to be fruggle on this build. I had all the stuff laying around for the circuit boards. I went with PEX and Copper for my piping which is cheaper then stainless. I did all the fabrication myself so I did not need to pay a welder.

I am actually kind of lost right now. I spent so much of my free time over the last 3-4 months on this. Now that I am done. I don't know what to do with myself. Well brew with it of course, but I only need soooo much beer ;D I guess it is time to get the snowboard out.