Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hop help  (Read 11828 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Dry hop help
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:38:25 pm »
 I have an IPA on its third day of primary, bubbling nicely. In the next couple days I would like to dry hop it. Its my house IPA,  and I've never dry hopped it before. Suggestions please? My recipe is as follows...

12# 2 row
1# 60*
.75 oz mag @ 60
1 oz cascade @ 45
1 oz cascade @ 30
1 oz cascade@ 5
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry hop help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »
I have an IPA on its third day of primary, bubbling nicely. In the next couple days I would like to dry hop it. Its my house IPA,  and I've never dry hopped it before. Suggestions please? My recipe is as follows...

12# 2 row
1# 60*
.75 oz mag @ 60
1 oz cascade @ 45
1 oz cascade @ 30
1 oz cascade@ 5

First suggestion...wait til it's completely done before you dry hop.  What hop do you want to dry hop with?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:32:33 pm »
Something new I am trying. An idea I got from someone on another forum. I bought some stainless steel bolts, sanitized them, and put them in the hop sack to hold my hops on the bottom of my fermenter.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:01:24 pm »
Good call on the bolts. I'll do that. Denny, my obsession with Cascade borders on the erotic, some Cascades it will be. I'm mostly curious how much I should use. When you say fermentation is done, do you mean y FG levels out, and the yeast is on clean up duty, or even after that is done?

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:25:53 pm »
You do want to wait until active fermentation is complete.  I usually wait about two weeks, then dry hop for 7 - 10 days.  I use pellet hops and just toss them into the primary fermenter. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »
Most commercial brewers (especially Hop Man Matt Brynildson) dry hop in the primary when primary fermentation is within 1 degree Plato of terminal fermentation to scrub out the oxygen off the hops that are present in the pellets or cones.  This is what I commonly do and would recommend if it is possible for you to do.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »
I've been hearing the "scrubbing" technique as described above.  I also know Brewers who only dry hop for 3-4 days, but I don't see the problem in leaving them for 7 days.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:48:21 pm »
I mostly ferment in glass carboys and wait 'till the Krausen subsides substantially but there are a few bubbles left on top indicating fermentation is slowing down...then I drop my hops in.  I've been using whole leaf hops with nice results, but pellets are fine and a little easier to deal with.  I'm a proponent of letting the hops roam free in the beer, so I don't contain them in any mesh bags or rigs.  I've read that it's best to package after about 4 days of dry hopping, but I always forget to do this....I've had a dry-hopped amber sitting in the carboy for about 3 weeks now, lol!
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:37:24 am »
I'm a proponent of "free roaming" hops myself. I just chuck the pellets/cones in loose after the krausen has dropped. My dry hops are generally in for 10-15 days and I've never gotten any grassiness. I make sure my beer is at 68F or higher while I'm dry-hopping. I've never done a side-by-side, but I've heard several people say dry-hopping at warmer temps minimizes grassiness.

I have used both whole-cone and pellet hops successfully, and haven't noticed a flavor difference between the two. Because of this, I prefer pellets for dry hopping because you lose less beer. If you use dried whole cones loosely, you may want to allow an extra day or two of contact time, since they tend to float and will take some time to hydrate.

I also make sure to line my bottling bucket with a sanitized paint strainer bag before I rack over. This keeps any hoppy bits from getting in the bottles.

I usually dry-hop at a rate of 2 oz for a Pale Ale or 3-4 oz for an IPA (per 5 gallons). There is definitely a difference between using 1 and 2 oz of dry hops (to my nose at least), but I'm not quite sold yet that there is a huge difference once you go above 2 oz of dry hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 09:40:05 am »
Thanks guys. Just the kind of help I was looking for.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Dry hop help
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:27:56 am »
Many ppl, including Denny, say u can skip the weights.  While it might make us feel better, I don't know that it increases the amount of aroma they impart.
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:21:52 am »
Many ppl, including Denny, say u can skip the weights.  While it might make us feel better, I don't know that it increases the amount of aroma they impart.

Yeah, I've tried with and without and it just didn't seem like the weights really made any difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mikerobrew2354

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 11:41:06 am »
Your recipe sounds very similar to a Mirror Pond clone that I do with the exception that Mirror Pond is a single hop Cascade beer. I use 1 oz of Cascade for dry hop and it is pretty dead on to MP. The most I use when dry hopping is 3 oz and that is in my Celebration Ale clone (which is about to be kegged today). I wait about 7 days for fermentation to complete and then drop the hops directly into the carboy for 7 days.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 03:36:49 pm »
I like to dry hop my beers with 2-3oz for a period of 5-7 days and I always use a secondary, it just works for me better:)

I like to use 1 gallon paint strainer bags and I do weight them down with stainless steel bolts. I decided to do this because I found my beer to be clearer, even if I filtered my racking cane. I use the bolts because I was finding that once the hops swelled up they started pushing up into the neck of the carboy and plugging things up.

If you try this a couple tips: Tie the bolts vertically into the bottom of the bag, if they are sideways you'll have a great time trying to get them out the neck. It takes a solid 2-4 heavy bolts to keep the bag submerged, especially if you use whole leaf. Be prepared to lose some final volume as the more you use the more they suck up, especially whole leaf:)

I've not noticed any difference in aroma/flavor in using the bag or not when I used to just let them swim.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 05:50:45 am »
For a 100 ibu 1.090 beer, Simcoe bitter, cascade flavor, Willamette aroma... would 2 ounces of Willamette in a bag in the keg be enough?