Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sulfur aroma in cider  (Read 7771 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Sulfur aroma in cider
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:22:55 am »
Two weeks ago I started my first batches of hard cider. They were one gallon each of pressed cider from a local orchard, plus pectic enzyme and about 1/4 packet of T-58. I didn't add any sugar or adjuncts, OG=1.048. Fermented at 66F. They dropped clear in 14 days, gravity = 1.000. I racked them both to secondary and added 1/2 oz of Nelson Sauvin as dry hops to one of the batches.

I was a bit worried how it would turn out as the unfermented cider tasted super sweet and (seemingly) without much acidity to balance it out. The gravity sample tastes fantastic, however. It is pretty tart and has a nice apple flavor to it. I'd carb and bottle it right now, except for one small issue. There is still quite a powerful sulfur aroma. Will this age out? Would I have been better off leaving this in primary on the yeast? Should I raise/lower the temp to clear this out? Thanks for any help.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: Sulfur aroma in cider
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:22 am »
Was the cider sulfited?  I've gotten sulfur from sulfiting the cider.  You also may be getting some aroma from the yeast which T-58 will throw off peppery and spicy notes that you are interpreting as sufur.  Age it to let the sufur drop out.  As to the finished product, you did well with getting the cider dry and keeping the apple notes.  Good job!
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Sulfur aroma in cider
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:52:36 am »
It's not at all uncommon for cider to give off a lot of sulfur as it ferments.  As Shrek said, "Better out than in!".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:14:50 am »
If the sulphur aroma doesn't go away you can add a small piece of copper, like copper pipe, to the cider. Don't use pennies. They're mostly Zinc now, at least since ~1982. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 10:18:11 am »
Pretty common, especially in cider fermented at ale temps. It should age out.

If the sulphur aroma doesn't go away you can add a small piece of copper, like copper pipe, to the cider. Don't use pennies. They're mostly Zinc now, at least since ~1982. Cheers!!!

I've heard that and may give it a try with my perry. How long does it need contact?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:53:30 am »
I'm curious about the hop addition.  Anyone else do this? 

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:54:54 am »
Pretty common, especially in cider fermented at ale temps. It should age out.

I've heard that and may give it a try with my perry. How long does it need contact?

That depends on how bad it is and how much copper is introduced. It might take up to a day or two. Your nose is the best test. You can suspend the copper in beer/wine/mead/cider with sanitized fishing line or in a sanitized nylon and move it around to get in into contact with as much beer/mead/wine/cider as possible. It's an amazing thing. I added a small section of copper tubing to the inside of my brew kettle as part of the dip tube and solved it. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
As am I.  Maybe it is me but 1/2 oz for a 1 gallon batch (assuming no blending) seems like a lot... ???
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »
As am I.  Maybe it is me but 1/2 oz for a 1 gallon batch (assuming no blending) seems like a lot... ???

Here's where I got the idea:

http://www.finnriver.com/index.php?page=dry-hopped-cider

I haven't tried it, but I liked the idea. I did find a review somewhere saying they had a hard time picking up the hops, so I figured I'd go with something in my typical IPA dry-hopping rate range. I figure the citrus/white wine of the Nelson Sauvin would be a nice pair with cider. I'll report back with some tasting notes once it's ready. I also have the advantage of having an unhopped batch of the same cider for blending should the hop character be totally overboard.

I've also been kicking around the idea for a sour graff, so I'm planning on doing some blending with Rodenbach Grand Cru, using both the hopped and unhopped cider.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:47:59 am »
I've had the Finn River dry hopped cider - you can definitely pick out the hops if you're doing a cider tasting.  If you've just had an IPA, then no.  It is subdued but it was there.
Tom Schmidlin