Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping research - Interesting  (Read 14336 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Dry Hopping research - Interesting
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:45:36 pm »
Anybody read this thesis? Any thoughts? I noticed the author is scheduled to present this data at the World Brewing Congress Portland 2013. Ran across the info while I was perusing Indie Hops' blog.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf?sequence=1

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Dry Hopping research - Interesting
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:38 am »
Anybody read this thesis? Any thoughts? I noticed the author is scheduled to present this data at the World Brewing Congress Portland 2013. Ran across the info while I was perusing Indie Hops' blog.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf?sequence=1

Interesting.  I think I'll go out and agitate the Belgian Imperial IPA I'm dry hopping in the garage.  That might be the closest homebrewers can come to stirring.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:33:50 am »
Thanks for posting that link. Need another pot of coffee to read through the rest, but good stuff.

Edit. Looks like those that say you get differences in pellets and whole cones are right. This may also show why the Sierra Nevada torpedo has proved usefull for them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:36:05 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:07:23 am »
Thanks for the link.  Very interesting indeed. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:16:38 am »
wow - thanks for posting.  am going to read it, but its gonna take a while...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:27:52 am »
Insight in how to get rid of that unpleasant onion/foot aroma with certain hops!

[...]it had been shown that adding granular copper dramatically reduced the presence of currant-like and onion aromas in beer[...]
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:06:09 am »
Insight in how to get rid of that unpleasant onion/foot aroma with certain hops!

[...]it had been shown that adding granular copper dramatically reduced the presence of currant-like and onion aromas in beer[...]

Hmmm... looks like a Summit/BB IPA may be in the works...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:04 am »
WOT? No comments on the possibility that you may be able to shave "days" off your dry hopping regimen?

The author makes the conclusion that dry hopping (unstirred) for more than 6 hours (with pellets, it was longer for cones) is accomplishing little in the way of additional aroma, and that extended periods of dry hopping are actually counter productive. Torpedo, Randall, Rocket...all used to provide increased aroma.
Could this partly be because of the shorter contact time with the hops?

Also, dry hopped hops still have all their bittering compounds in tact....Could we throw 'em in the freezer and use to bitter the next batch??? I always enjoy saving a few bucks.

I'm planning some experimentation soon.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:11 am »
Kinda looks like I'm doing the right thing...I don't weight the hop bags but I do swirl the fermenter a couple times a day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:49:38 am »
I had seen references to the aromatics being extracted in 24 hours. Much new stuff here to read and understand.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 10:51:56 am »
I have for sure noticed that if I drop a bag of hops in the keg and shake to carb it immediatly has some hop aroma. and I don't notice a significant increase the next day so that actually makes sense to me. by rocking the keg with the hops in there I am extracting most of what will be extracted in just a few minutes/hours. nice.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:38 am »
Kinda looks like I'm doing the right thing...I don't weight the hop bags but I do swirl the fermenter a couple times a day.

It's the time Denny, not the stirring that's the real eye opener here. The stirring is being proposed as an even better/faster way of extraction in a commercial setting.....we don't have or even want the ability to continually agitate in a homebrew situ. Look at the graphs on page 40 & 41. After a day, you're actually decreasing your aroma compounds. It's really some pretty unexpected results. 
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:38 am »

It's the time Denny, not the stirring that's the real eye opener here. The stirring is being proposed as an even better/faster way of extraction in a commercial setting.....we don't have or even want the ability to continually agitate in a homebrew situ. Look at the graphs on page 40 & 41. After a day, you're actually decreasing your aroma compounds. It's really some pretty unexpected results.

Yes.  I just changed my current plan.  As I mentioned above, I've got a Belgian Imperial IPA being dry hopped right now, due to be kegged on Friday.  I am going to add a couple of ounces of Citra that morning before I transfer.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:19 am »
I have a Bitter on tap that tastes very British. One thing I decided to do was only dry hop for 3 days, as that is about the time the hops would have in the cask before it is empty. Pulled the hops out after 3 days, and it tasted very familiar. 

Also had British malts, hops, WLP-002 and the pale ale water profile with lots of sulfates. :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 11:32:33 am »
It will probably be a while before I can digest all of this, but it sounds like dry-hopping overnight in my bottling bucket, then bottling the next day, may be worth a try sometime soon. Heck, it may be worth a try as a second wave of dry-hopping even if I've done one "traditional" round of dry-hopping in the fermenter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer