Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hibiscus Gose  (Read 15645 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Hibiscus Gose
« on: April 12, 2013, 08:55:15 am »
I had discussion on this recipe in the ingredients section and have finalized the recipe. I was asked to share so here it is. I am planning on brewing this up over the weekend and will try to remember to follow up once packaged and tasted. If you brew this up let me know what you think.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hibiscus Gose
Brewer: Commune Brewing Company
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6.25 gal              Chicago, IL                              Water         1        -             
12.00 g               Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -             
5 lbs 8.5 oz          Wheat (3.0 SRM)                          Grain         3        47.9 %       
2 lbs                 Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)         Grain         4        17.3 %       
2 lbs                 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         5        17.4 %       
2 lbs                 Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)            Grain         6        17.4 %       
1.00 oz               Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil  Hop           7        12.9 IBUs     
0.31 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        8        -             
0.50 tbsp             Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         9        -             
20.00 g               Sea Salt (Boil 5.0 mins)                 Other         10       -             
2.00 g                Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)           Spice         11       -             
45.00 g               Hibiscus Flower-Dried (Boil 0.0 mins)    Spice         12       -             
1.0 pkg               German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 m Yeast         13       -             

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.5 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Protein Rest      Add 2.84 gal of water at 131.2 F        122.0 F       30 min       
Saccharification  Add 2.31 gal of water at 186.0 F        148.0 F       30 min       
Mash Out          Add 2.59 gal of water at 211.8 F        168.0 F       10 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.89 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
Conduct First Mash traditionally for conversion then add Acidulated Malt and perform second mash for 30 minutes or until pH drops to 3.75-3.8, sparge and boil

Gravity without Acidulated Malt=1.046 (anticipated)

Boulevard Amounts:
199g Hibiscus/31.5gallons
300g Coriander/33bbls
100g Sea Salt/31.5 gallons

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:57:12 am by duboman »
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Delo

• Brewer
Re: Hibiscus Gose
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:36:51 am »
Thanks for posting this. If I brew this it will be in a month or so although it may be scaled down and I may or may not be adding lactic acid in the end of the mash instead of the acidulated malt..depending on if I have it on hand for my cheesemaking endeavor.
Mark

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Hibiscus Gose
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 04:10:42 pm »
So to update-bottled this up today and it came in at 5.8%. The sample was delicious, just slightly sour as predicted and the color was sort of a pale pink lemonade from the flowers. Crisp taste but not overly dry and well balanced. This should be great when conditioned and carbonated in a week or two. I see this going fast

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Hibiscus Gose
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:08:11 pm »

Here it is and it's really great! The floral aroma and slight crisp and tart finish are exactly what I was shooting for!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:41:54 pm »
How much sea salt g/gal?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
That color is AWESOME! All from the flowers?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »
looks to be just over 2 grams/gallon
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »

The reason I wonder is because on his original recipe development thread there was a question about the salt addition amount in one the recipes in the Wheat book by Stan.  I believe there was an error and Stan provided duboman with the corrected amount per gallon. But that original thread seems to have disappeared or been eaten by forum gremlins?

I love the color hibiscus provides to beer!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 03:54:21 pm »
Stan did provide the numbers for the salt and I did use 20 grams for the 6.25 gallon batch or 3.2 grams per gallon roughly.

Yes, the color is amazing and it is all from the Hibiscus flowers! When it went to primary it looked like pink lemonade. It has mellowed a bit now and that picture is pretty true still. I must say I am totally pleased with the way this beer turned out. It has amazing floral aroma and taste and is sour just enough with a balance of the salt. I keep drinking it trying to find something that could improve it but after each glass I come up with nothing:) Getting set to brew it again next month!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 03:58:58 pm »

The reason I wonder is because on his original recipe development thread there was a question about the salt addition amount in one the recipes in the Wheat book by Stan.  I believe there was an error and Stan provided duboman with the corrected amount per gallon. But that original thread seems to have disappeared or been eaten by forum gremlins?

I love the color hibiscus provides to beer!

Yes, somehow the original thread was consumed by beer gremlins in cyber-space as I can no longer locate it either ???

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 08:27:15 am »
That looks great. I have been thinking about doing something like this with hibiscus.

In my plan I split my batch up a few different ways, and add stuff like hibiscus and different fruits post boil. I am getting a little hung up on the hibiscus, though. I suppose I could just make a strong tea and add it post-boil.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Hibiscus Gose
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:27 am »

That looks great. I have been thinking about doing something like this with hibiscus.

In my plan I split my batch up a few different ways, and add stuff like hibiscus and different fruits post boil. I am getting a little hung up on the hibiscus, though. I suppose I could just make a strong tea and add it post-boil.

If you plan on splitting the wort into separate beers then yes, make the tea and add it.

Offline pmcint01

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »
When do you add the hops?

Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 02:33:45 pm »
When do you add the hops?

Thanks

I would guess at either 90 or 60 minutes left in the boil. they are really only there as a preservative and mild source of bitterness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »
My recipe only has one bitter charge and its at the 60 minute mark for IIRC about 20 IBU and the hibiscus goes in with 10 minutes left in the boil

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk