Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Monitoring Keg Levels  (Read 11594 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Monitoring Keg Levels
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:52 pm »
I'm on a tangent today - I have my brewing calendar all planned out for the next few months, so I need a side project.

How does everyone keep track of or know the level of beer in ones kegs? Or does anyone even do that?

I'm tired of blowing a keg before I think I'm going to. I get all excited about a good beer on tap, and it's gone in 3 weeks without something new to put on at the ready. My fiance has been trying to kick a keg of APA for like two weeks now. He's been drinking about 3 glasses a night every other night and can't kick it. While it's kind of funny, I would really like to just know how much is left.

Does anyone have any solutions? I'll go for cheap 'n' easy or super nerdy and complicated.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
Re: Monitoring Keg Levels
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »
Smart Strip on the WWW, it looks cheep & easy
Frank Linkh

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »
Weight?  Sometimes I'll tip them or lift them to see what's left, but that always gets some yeast up into suspension.

It seems most of my kegs are lasting a long time these days.  Except for the ones I don't want to blow.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »
My fiance has been trying to kick a keg of APA for like two weeks now. He's been drinking about 3 glasses a night every other night and can't kick it.

The snarkiness in me is screaming Get a Bigger Glass  ;D At 3 pints a night, it should be gone after about 2 weeks. 

As for checking levels.  I do the lift and/or tip method too.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
How about a bathroom scale?

If you did a tare on the empty keg you should be able to go pretty close to 1 lb = 1 pint of beer
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »
Smart Strip on the WWW, it looks cheep & easy

These kegs are inside of a chest freezer type kegerator, so those won't work from what I've read.

For the same reason, I can't fit a bathroom scale.

My fiance has been trying to kick a keg of APA for like two weeks now. He's been drinking about 3 glasses a night every other night and can't kick it.

The snarkiness in me is screaming Get a Bigger Glass  ;D At 3 pints a night, it should be gone after about 2 weeks. 

As for checking levels.  I do the lift and/or tip method too.
Yeah, I know. I didn't do the lift/tip method when he started, so I have no idea how full/empty it really was. though.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 01:11:19 pm »
I've always gone low tech. Mark # of pints until you get ~ 40, so I don't have to lift and stir up sediment. Bigger glasses tend to throw it off quite a bit though!
Jon H.

Offline lewybrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:28:16 pm »
I'm on a tangent today - I have my brewing calendar all planned out for the next few months, so I need a side project.

How does everyone keep track of or know the level of beer in ones kegs? Or does anyone even do that?

I'm tired of blowing a keg before I think I'm going to. I get all excited about a good beer on tap, and it's gone in 3 weeks without something new to put on at the ready. My fiance has been trying to kick a keg of APA for like two weeks now. He's been drinking about 3 glasses a night every other night and can't kick it. While it's kind of funny, I would really like to just know how much is left.

Does anyone have any solutions? I'll go for cheap 'n' easy or super nerdy and complicated.

I use this.  http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Gauge-GG-1100-NR-Original/dp/B0012GTU3O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367267141&sr=8-3&keywords=propane+level+indicator

It maxes out at 20 pounds so I start using it when I think the keg is 1/2 full.  One day I'll calibrate it with markings

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 02:35:34 pm »
i just always have something good on deck so I don't cry too much when one goes since there's something new to try now!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:24 pm »
i just always have something good on deck so I don't cry too much when one goes since there's something new to try now!

I'm getting better at this, but having a Munich Dunkel blow about a month before I wanted to put on the Maibock was a bummer. Hopefully my new lagering freezer will help to alleviate that part of the problem.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 02:46:50 pm »
Why not use a hand scale? you could get a couple of hooks and a short piece of rope, hook the keg, attach the rope to the hand scale( they usually have a hook as well) and then just pick up the keg with the hand scale.  Any good sports store that sells fishing gear should have that kind of scale.

2C

Edit:
Example
http://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Scale-Hand-Measure-Travelon/dp/B0019TUU56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367268608&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+scale
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:50:35 pm by fejjgw »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:56:54 am »
"How does everyone keep track of or know the level of beer in ones kegs? Or does anyone even do that?"

When the beer turns absolutely crystal clear and tastes better than it ever has, then its about one or two pints away from blowing.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:20 am »
"How does everyone keep track of or know the level of beer in ones kegs? Or does anyone even do that?"

When the beer turns absolutely crystal clear and tastes better than it ever has, then its about one or two pints away from blowing.

THIS. so many times...

Personally if I was going to pull a keg out of the fridge to weigh it I'd instead just leave it on the basement floor for several minutes, after which the condensation line will tell me where the level is.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:52 am »

THIS. so many times...

Personally if I was going to pull a keg out of the fridge to weigh it I'd instead just leave it on the basement floor for several minutes, after which the condensation line will tell me where the level is.

This works for me as well.  Although I don't like to move kegs around once they are pouring clear.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
This works for me as well.  Although I don't like to move kegs around once they are pouring clear.

Agreed.  Although I feel like I can control my 2.5 and 3g kegs well enough to move gently and stir up very little.  I only have a few 5's and lifting them in and out of the chest freezer aint so much fun.  I don't think I would do so just to figure out a fill level.