Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Racer 5 anyone  (Read 6357 times)

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
Racer 5 anyone
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:55 pm »
Anyone have a Racer 5 recipe they care to share that they think is pretty good?  I've send BYO but the hops look very low to me.  A search here found an old recipe that also didn't seem to match up to what it tastes like to me.

I've pretty much sucked with almost every Stone recipe I've tried......I've made good beer and that's cool but not close to what  I was trying to achieve.

Thanks

Offline BuckeyeInMI

• 1st Kit
Re: Racer 5 anyone
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:11:05 pm »
The BYO recipe uses the wrong grains and the wrong hops.  Bear Republic's own site says it uses pale and crystal malts, and the 4 C's.  The Amarillo is too fruity, and there's not enough emphasis on Centennial.  And what's with the wheat malt?

http://bearrepublic.com/beer/racer-5-ipa/

I'd keep the grain bill simple.  14½-15 lbs total grains, with at least 13 being basic 2-row, and no more than 1 lb of Crystal 30.  You could throw in some Carapils too.  That will get you an SG of 1.065-1.068, i.e. 7% ABV.  But don't overdo the Crystal or you'll lose the color profile.  Racer 5 is golden, not amber.

For hops, using Beersmith, I came up with this.

60: 0.5oz Columbus (first wort)
45: 0.5oz Cascade
45: 0.5oz Chinook
30: 0.5oz Cascade
30: 0.5oz Centennial
10: 0.5oz Centennial

That's just about the necessary 75 IBUs.  First worting the Columbus will smooth it out a bit.  You could back off this schedule a little bit too.  I've never thought Racer 5 had that much bitterness.

For aroma and dry hopping, I'd use Centennial for sure, along with Cascade.  But don't dry hop too much.  Racer 5 has a good aroma, but it's not overpowering.  I wouldn't dry hop more than an ounce total.  You're not making a double IPA.

I haven't brewed this particular recipe.  Racer 5 and Bell's Two Hearted Ale are my favorite commercial IPAs.  I can get Bell's anytime (I live in MI), but we can't always get Racer 5, so I've been thinking about it for awhile.

Any and all suggestions or tweaks are welcomed.

Offline chipster27

• 1st Kit
Re: Racer 5 anyone
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 08:57:42 am »
Here's the recipe I used on a 10 gallon batch. I've done it a couple times and the hardcore Racer 5 drinkers love it.

And the target stats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:00:14 am by chipster27 »