Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Ale Recipe Critique  (Read 4853 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Red Ale Recipe Critique
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:31:35 pm »
I plan to make my first stab at a Red Ale recipe to be brewed on Friday. This is not my favorite style, but the fiance is a huge fan Great Lakes Conway's Irish Red, so I figured I'd keep her happy. Plus it gives me an opportunity to brew something new....Tell me what you think.

Batch = 5.5 Gallons
OG = 1.052
IBUs = 26.2
60 minute mash @ 154

46% American Two Row Pale = 4 lb 11.5 oz
46% Maris Otter = 4 lb 11.5 oz
6% Caramel/Crystal 80L = 11 oz
2% Special B = 4 oz

60 minute = .5 oz Northern Brewer
10 minute = .5 oz Mt. Hood and .5 oz Willamette

White Labs 004 Irish Ale

Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Red Ale Recipe Critique
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:19 pm »
I'm curious why the precise measurement down to half ounces on grain. Is it the recipe software that does it?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:08:40 pm »
I'm curious why the precise measurement down to half ounces on grain. Is it the recipe software that does it?

Haha...No, I don't use software. I do it the old fashioned way. I usually round to the nearest quarter ounce. I figure since my scale can measure that, why not be precise?
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:16:18 pm »
Awesome! I'm the exact opposite lol. A measurement slob. I plan my grain in pounds but it ends up being pounds ish. My scoop holds about 3 pounds and I just roll with it. Hops is a different deal. I plan them to half ounce increments and actually weigh them out.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09:48 pm »
Bueller? Bueller? ... Anybody?... Bueller?
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
I say go for it. In my next red, since the spec b is only for color, I'll steep it in the boil kettle post mash, pre boil, just till I get the color I'm looking for.
I like your hops but I'd double them personally. Like my red with a little bite.
Let us know how it goes

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »
Looks pretty good to me but I agree with Jim, I like a bit more hop bite from mine.  Of course mine is more of an American Amber than an Irish red.  I am a big proponent of adding the crystal and roasted or dark malt to after vorlauf and only sparging them and not mashing them.  Seems to give a bit more of a restrained flavor.
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:42:53 pm »
Looks good to me Frank.  I like red/amber ales hoppier too, but an Irish Red has little to no hop presence. If that's what she's after, I say leave it as is. It'll be good.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »
If it were for me, I would up the hops. The old lady isn't a huge fan of hops... Hence the reason why I'm not brewing her an IPA lol. I did have the Mt Hood and Willamette additions at .75 oz, but I kicked them down because I have a handful of each of those growing on the vine that I plan on throwing in. I will be rebrewing an imperial hoppy red for myself he soon for the fall. I made one late winter that was finished Simcoe and Amarillo... I didn't like the Amarillo... My go with Cents instead
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:54 pm »
Looks good to me Frank.  I like red/amber ales hoppier too, but an Irish Red has little to no hop presence. If that's what she's after, I say leave it as is. It'll be good.

I'll go for it... Thanks
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 01:18:16 pm »
This is also my first time brewing with Maris Otter. I finally broke down and bought a sack. The LHBS had sacks of two row Briess on sale for $35 but limited to two per customer. So the money I saved there made it like buying the three sacks of two row that I planned on getting at regular price. That and the salesman told me to think of it as "pennies per beer" lol
Frank

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
If it were for me, I would up the hops. The old lady isn't a huge fan of hops... Hence the reason why I'm not brewing her an IPA lol. I did have the Mt Hood and Willamette additions at .75 oz, but I kicked them down because I have a handful of each of those growing on the vine that I plan on throwing in. I will be rebrewing an imperial hoppy red for myself he soon for the fall. I made one late winter that was finished Simcoe and Amarillo... I didn't like the Amarillo... My go with Cents instead

Does she not like the bitterness of hops, the aroma or both?  My wife also has expressed some "concern" about my unhealthy love of cones, but I've found she finds the bitterness most objectionable.  I recently brewed an IPA and moved most of the hops to flameout and dry hopping.  She claimed it was a big improvement.  Perhaps this is an option for you as well.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 03:22:00 pm »

Does she not like the bitterness of hops, the aroma or both?  My wife also has expressed some "concern" about my unhealthy love of cones, but I've found she finds the bitterness most objectionable.  I recently brewed an IPA and moved most of the hops to flameout and dry hopping.  She claimed it was a big improvement.  Perhaps this is an option for you as well.

"I don't know how you drink that! It tastes like dish soap!"
Frank

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:34 pm »

"I don't know how you drink that! It tastes like dish soap!"

Ah, I see. That may be a bit more problematic.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 04:22:40 pm »
I got her really enjoying stouts, porters, and reds though... Miller lite now tastes like piss... So it's not a complete failure... She now considers herself a beer snob lol... Just nota hop snip haha
Frank