Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut porter recipe?  (Read 19539 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Coconut porter recipe?
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:56:03 pm »
So there's this thread about judging and coconut porter ( http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16116.0 ) and by the time I got to the end of it I was craving exactly that (the beer, not the judging...). But there is only one recipe on the AHA wiki http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/KokosNutStout . It obviously did ok in a competition but I am that sort of person who likes to look at a few recipes, and I note it uses extract, versus toasted coconut. There's nothing wrong with that, just wanted to look at a few recipes.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: Coconut porter recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:13:18 pm »
So there's this thread about judging and coconut porter ( http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16116.0 ) and by the time I got to the end of it I was craving exactly that (the beer, not the judging...). But there is only one recipe on the AHA wiki http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/KokosNutStout . It obviously did ok in a competition but I am that sort of person who likes to look at a few recipes, and I note it uses extract, versus toasted coconut. There's nothing wrong with that, just wanted to look at a few recipes.

I got home and Zymurgy was waiting for me, and there was a recipe for Coconut Porter! HOW DID YOU DO THAT???
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:49:12 am »
There's another one in the March/April 2013 Zymurgy. It uses toasted coconut in primary.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:57:05 am »
There's another one in the March/April 2013 Zymurgy. It uses toasted coconut in primary.

Thanks, I've been away from brewing for a couple of months (starting a PhD program while working FT, so brewing is now something I do between semesters). I just saw there's a Zymurgy app. I do wonder, would it be good for the AHA to put the recipes on the wiki?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:23:50 pm »
I wouldn't use coconut in the primary.  No way for you to control the flavor impact.  I generally add toasted coconut to the secondary in my 5-0 Hawaiian Porter.  It also has cacao nibs and Hawaiian coffee in it.  Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you?  I would be happy to share the recipe.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »
I wouldn't use coconut in the primary.  No way for you to control the flavor impact.  I generally add toasted coconut to the secondary in my 5-0 Hawaiian Porter.  It also has cacao nibs and Hawaiian coffee in it.  Not sure if that is a deal breaker for you?  I would be happy to share the recipe.

Not a deal breaker -- I haven't used a secondary in several years but I certainly could. I like the additions (I do stouts with cocoa-coffee). Would love the recipe.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline rapurcell85

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 04:55:55 pm »
Here's the recipe I used.  It had an OK coconut character, but I think it needs more, so I will probably double the coconut next time I brew it.  I also sent it off to a couple of competitions, and they also said there was not enough coconut in it.  I used 2 whole coconuts.  I cleaned them, threw them through my Ninja blender, and toasted them.  Not nearly as strong a coconut character as I though.  I strongly suggest finding the coconut processed, as it was a pain to deal with the whole coconuts.  I added the coconut to the primary after a week.  I wanted the yeast to have a chance to get at any sugars in the coconut.  I may also change the coconut addition to a secondary addition in the future, and just let whatever yeast is remaining do whatever work it can.
Bob

Boil Boil Volume: 8 gal.
Boil Length: 90 min.
Target Volume: 6.3 gal.

Fermentables
Pale Malt, Maris Otter 8 lbs. 12 oz.
Chocolate Malt 1 lbs.
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 8 oz.
Honey Malt 6 oz.

Hops
Magnum 0.5 oz. 13.5 Boil 90 min. Pellet 27
Willamette 1 oz. 6.4 Boil 10 min. Pellet 11

Wyeast Irish Ale

Toasted Coconut (unsweetened) 16 oz

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 07:29:24 pm »
Seems like a couple bags of shredded coconut, perhaps toasted, would be the way to go. Lazy version. I don't even like peeling eggs

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »
Seems like a couple bags of shredded coconut, perhaps toasted, would be the way to go. Lazy version. I don't even like peeling eggs

I'm with you. (And yet, we brew our own beer.) Flaked coconut -- really big flakes, not tiny shreds -- was $3.15 a pound at Rainbow Grocery, where I also picked up cocoa nibs. It smells delicious. I suspect the flavor will come out in the toasting more than anything else and that it will still be subtle.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 07:06:38 pm »

I did this one with GREAT results.  Unsweetened, toasted coconut came thru.  Don't fear the coconut in the primary.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:41:43 pm »

Not a deal breaker -- I haven't used a secondary in several years but I certainly could. I like the additions (I do stouts with cocoa-coffee). Would love the recipe.

Matter of semantics.  I should have been more specific.  I place all the ingredients in the keg, that way I can taste the flavor development.  Generally I save some of the initial beer to blend back in because I usually lose a half gallon or so of beer from all the ingredients.

5-0 Hawaiian Porter

6 gallons post boil
60 min boil
1.064 OG
Mash 154F

70% 2-Row
12% Munich
8%  C-60L
6% Chocolate Malt
4%  Carafa III

38 IBUs 60 min
14g Williamette/5 IBUs @ 30min

Ale yeast ( I prefer WLP007 but have brewed with chico before)
* I use the coffee and cacao nibs to develop some of the natural porter character so that it is not over the top roasty.  Never done a normal robust porter with this recipe, but would work.  Maybe dial back the cacao nibs and coffee if so?

In keg/secondary
6 oz Cacao nibs
24 oz Coconut flakes ( can be divided or added all at once, I have done both)
1.5-2 oz coffee of choice, dry beaned.  I use Kona
1 vanilla bean (rounds out the flavors)

Also, 16 fluid oz. of cold steeped coffee.

I systematically pull the additions when they are the flavor profile I prefer.  Coffee and vanilla generally 4 days.  Cacao nibs are usually 4-7 days.  I find the coconut is the most variable ingredient.  Did this recipe 3 weeks ago.  Added all 24oz of coconut due to time limitations.  Pulled the coconut after 4.5 days. The initial recipe was 16oz x 2 wks.  Then another 8oz. for a week.

Cacao nibs and coconut were toasted in the oven.  House smells fantastic when this happens!  Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out!

This recipe in the 3 comps I have entered has finished no worse than 3rd place BOS.  Winning twice.  Goes over well at festivals also.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
Thanks a bunch. I'm inclined to go with your recipe because it's a simpler grain bill, similar to the one in Brewing Classic Styles, though I like your WLP007 choice. I have a brew day coming up this week. I'll report back!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 05:54:40 am »
Just did a coffee coconut stout.

Started with an oatmeal stout. "Dry-nutted" with 1 lb of organic, unsweetened coconut flakes that I toasted in the oven until golden and fragrant (AWESOME smell!). Used a muslin bag in the keg so I could pull it when I got enough flavor extraction.

I like doing it in the keg because I have a lot more control over extraction rates. I can taste daily and pull when its ready. When left too long, you can extract some plastic-like flavors.

Next time I will probably use 2 lbs of coconut in 1-lb increments. I will also cut back on the oats; using too much lends a plasticy/grainy flavor much like the over-extracted coconut flavor.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 08:33:10 am »
Here I was all set to make a porter... but the idea of a coconut stout is delicious. Of course, I could do both.

I don't keg (though I do tap-a-draft some batches) but timing the addition five days before bottling sounds about right.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline mcallijb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
I'm no expert, but I just brewed a porter extract kit and added some fresh toasted coconut shavings (about a handful) and a vanilla bean in a muslin bag to the secondary for about 4 weeks.  I bottled last weekend and couldn't stop sampling the brew it was so good.  Can't wait for the carbed bottles to be ready...