Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary Poll  (Read 4511 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Secondary Poll
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:47:54 pm »
On the homepage at AHA. Looks like I'm a low percentage brewer. Never use a secondary

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Secondary Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:24 pm »
They're a good idea for extended secondary or actual secondary fermentation (like if you add fruit or something).  Completely unnecessary otherwise.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:55:57 am »
If you can transfer to an o2 free secondary (like a corny keg or bright tank) then it's great or, as Tom says, for fruit or other actual secondary fermentation.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:12:33 am »
I never use a secondary either. Even for a beer which needs extended aging I would just move to a keg and store there on gas and in the fridge. I am not sure which beer would need to be aged off gas and at a warm temp. I suppose such beers exist.

Also I suppose some brewers age in secondary while they wait for an empty keg. I don't brew enough to have that problem.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:22:01 am »
If you can transfer to an o2 free secondary (like a corny keg or bright tank) then it's great or, as Tom says, for fruit or other actual secondary fermentation.

+1.  I use one for these reasons too, and I use a purged secondary for dry hopping now as well.  Otherwise it isn't necessary.
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:43:35 am »
I will use a secondary if I am dry hopping a beer and planning to reuse the yeast.  If I'm not reusing the yeast, I'll dry hop right in the primary.

Any other additional (spice, wood, etc) get added to the keg.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 07:04:02 am »

I've stopped using carboys as a secondary fermenter.  If I do a secondary, it's in a purged keg. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:11 am »
I was surprised by the poll, especially since I have heard of so many homebrewers going away from secondary.

I guess I haven't been homebrewing long enough to remember it being 'mandatory' in the general homebrew SOP.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:42:37 am »
I was surprised by the poll, especially since I have heard of so many homebrewers going away from secondary.

I guess I haven't been homebrewing long enough to remember it being 'mandatory' in the general homebrew SOP.
I think it's still common with beginner to intermediate homebrewers. Equipment kits are still sold with 'deluxe' versions including a carboy for secondary. Ingredient kits include secondary in their directions. Beersmith uses a two-stage ale fermentation schedule as it's default schedule. People learn this stuff early and are uneasy about letting go. Plus, it's a thing to do. It's hard to grasp doing nothing being more advanced than doing something.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:06 am »

I think it's still common with beginner to intermediate homebrewers. Equipment kits are still sold with 'deluxe' versions including a carboy for secondary. Ingredient kits include secondary in their directions. Beersmith uses a two-stage ale fermentation schedule as it's default schedule. People learn this stuff early and are uneasy about letting go. Plus, it's a thing to do. It's hard to grasp doing nothing being more advanced than doing something.

Also, with recent finding about how yeast and hops play together I think some people are reconsidering secondaries for dry hopped beers regardless of yeast reuse plans.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:15 am »
On the retail side, knowing several owners of LHBS around, it is one more item they can sell to the new brewer along with some of the other things you eventually find you didn't really need.

That being said I know a few brewers that still use them even though they know they don't need to for every beer. I just use them when oaking or adding fruit, that's it.

I'll bulk age in a purged corny or extended bottling conditioning cold.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 09:17:48 am »
Last week a guy in my club had two glass carboys break in the same brew session. One was full of beer in his fermentation chamber and slid off the hump and broke. The other had just been cleaned so it was wet and slid off a table. Fortunately it was empty. Even more fortunate, nobody got injured.

The next day several members put their glass carboys up for sale.

It's probably a good thing people are moving away from using those things in homebrewing. They are quite dangerous, especially if you are moving them around by hand rather than a carrier.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:14 am »
On the retail side, knowing several owners of LHBS around, it is one more item they can sell to the new brewer along with some of the other things you eventually find you didn't really need.

That being said I know a few brewers that still use them even though they know they don't need to for every beer. I just use them when oaking or adding fruit, that's it.

I'll bulk age in a purged corny or extended bottling conditioning cold.

Yeah, +1 to the cynical reason for the persistence of routine use of secondary

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:36:52 am »
Also, with recent finding about how yeast and hops play together I think some people are reconsidering secondaries for dry hopped beers regardless of yeast reuse plans.

I'm one of those.  No dry hops, no secondary.  But if I plan to dry hop, I'll go 3-4 weeks in primary, then rack to secondary and dry hop.  I prefer the results from doing it that way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 10:58:02 am »
I'm one of those.  No dry hops, no secondary.  But if I plan to dry hop, I'll go 3-4 weeks in primary, then rack to secondary and dry hop.  I prefer the results from doing it that way.

Denny I'm somewhat surprised by how long you leave your beer in the primary.  I understand that there isn't a problem in doing it, but I find myself wondering if there is a benefit (other than ensuring FG).
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton