Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chili pepper porter recipe?  (Read 9821 times)

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
Chili pepper porter recipe?
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:18:32 pm »
I'm looking for a chili pepper porter recipe. Anybody have a good one? I'd like something between 4-6 percent, with chocolate notes and ample heat but not so much it burns your throat. Also, any advice on pepper types/quantity and when to add it (boil? secondary?) is most appreciated.
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Chili pepper porter recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:35 pm »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:53:18 am »
I guess it depends on what kind of chile flavor you want. The mole stouts tend to use a combinations of dried chiles like guadjillo, ancho, chipotle, etc.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:05:54 am »
Personally I prefer to avoid dried chilies. I normally use two peppers per gallon and leave them for 48-72 hours. Habaneros are fun. Good flavor with a long lingering heat. Jalapeños are good for flavor and medium heat and anaheims are nice too.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:46:37 am »
Personally I prefer to avoid dried chilies. I normally use two peppers per gallon and leave them for 48-72 hours. Habaneros are fun. Good flavor with a long lingering heat. Jalapeños are good for flavor and medium heat and anaheims are nice too.

Sorry if I am hijacking... I am planning to add habaneros to an upcoming 5 gallon batch. You recommend using 2 peppers per gallon? I am going for something more subdued than a normal chile beer but still noticeable. Maybe 1 pepper per gallon?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:50:53 am »

Sorry if I am hijacking... I am planning to add habaneros to an upcoming 5 gallon batch. You recommend using 2 peppers per gallon? I am going for something more subdued than a normal chile beer but still noticeable. Maybe 1 pepper per gallon?

I'm a chile head, but I don't normally see habanero and "subdued" in the same sentence. I wouldn't use much of it if that's what you're after.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 11:56:29 am »

I'm a chile head, but I don't normally see habanero and "subdued" in the same sentence. I wouldn't use much of it if that's what you're after.

Yeah I know that probably sounds off. I guess I just need a good starting point since I have never used peppers of any kind in a beer. This is based on a beer that uses scotch bonnets which appear to have the same 'scoville' rating as Habaneros. I guess I can try to reach out to the brewery for amount recommendations
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:19:38 pm by goschman »

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:37 pm »
If I were doing this and wanted control over the amount of heat, I would pull of 1/2 gallon and throw all the peppers in there. Ferment separately and blend to taste at bottling.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »
If I were doing this and wanted control over the amount of heat, I would pull of 1/2 gallon and throw all the peppers in there. Ferment separately and blend to taste at bottling.

Great idea!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »
Sent an inquiry to the brewery that is the inspiration for this beer so hopefully I will get a response.

I will likely be going the vodka route on this one. I suppose I can just add a little bit at a time.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:50:06 pm »
I tested in growlers at first. If you are concerned about heat, try a more mild chili.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:52:29 pm »
Got a response:

"Habenero peppers will work but we use Scotch Bonnets for their intense fruity aroma. I wouldn't know how many peppers in a 5 gallon batch but I can tell you we use roughly 8-10 pound for 500 gallons. Peppers are different every time I use them so the best way to make that decision would be to take a bite and see how spicy they are. There is no science behind this process, I'm a chili head and a major fan of all things spicy so I developed a feel for the pepper I'm using.

Rough chop the peppers ( seeds and all ) and dry hop your finished beer. Do not add to the boil or you will get an unpleasant vegetable aroma.

Once dry hopped wait a few days and taste, when your desired spice level has been achieved rack the beer off your peppers."

Looks like this would equate roughly to 1.5 oz for a 5 gallon batch. Honestly I am pretty bad at drawing conclusions from unfinished, uncarbed beers which is why I am hesitant. If my memory serves correct, this was not a very spicy beer which is why I liked it and why I was thinking habs since there heat level is similar to scotch b's. Looks like scotch bonnet would be the way to go if I want to get something similar.

Thanks for the responses. At least I know how I should do it...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:58:54 pm by goschman »

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:20:05 pm »
I would remove the veins and seeds if you want flavor and less heat. This is how I make chili. I put a LOT of peppers in and it doesn't kill my wife.

Good to know you can dry pepper your beer.

- Sent by Tapatalk TARDIS Edition

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 03:20:35 pm »

Great idea!
Save the extra for a prank!

- Sent by Tapatalk TARDIS Edition

AHA Member since 2006

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »

True, but the flavor of Habaneros is fantastic. You can really dial a lot of that heat down by carefully de-seeding/destemming them. I'm also tempted to grow some of these this year:

http://www.cooksgarden.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-pepper-zavory-prod000250.html?catId=2037&trail=
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer