Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary started again after 5 days?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline ihavacavalier

• 1st Kit
Primary started again after 5 days?
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:37:53 am »
I have a Saison [extract kit] in my glass carboy for primary fermentation. I pitched a yeast starter with White Labs- Belgian Saison Yeast Blend when i brewed it last week, and within about 48 hours the krausen formed and then fell back in as normal. The airlock bubbled away as normal, then slowed down to almost nothing [as normal] after a couple days, indicating the primary fermentation was done.

Later in the week, about day 5, the primary became active again and is bubbling away about one bubble every 10 seconds. It is now day 7 and the primary is still bubbling at close to the same rate as two days ago. I have never seen a "double fermentation" like seems to be happening in my carboy right now. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Some background on the kit:
All-extract Saison kit with 8lbs extra-pale LME and 1lb corn sugar
White Labs Belgian Saison Yeast Blend with yeast starter
0G was about 1.062, i havent taken another measurement due to the fermentation

Any experiences would help!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Primary started again after 5 days?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:50:56 am »
Was there a temp change by any chance?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »
Airlock activity is a poor way to actually judge fermentation. It simply means Co2 is coming out of solution. As denny points out, a temp change can cause more co2 to come out of solution. Take a hydrometer reading. Don't count bubbles.

That said, I have seen WLP565 form krausen, drop and seem to stall, then suddenly form  krausen again. It can behave strangely at times, especially if your temps are inconsistent. What temp is it at now?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:28:28 pm by majorvices »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:12 pm »
I have had WLP-565 will stop with no activity for a week at 1.030, then restart and finish to a low FG.  This is in a temperature controlled conical.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ihavacavalier

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »
The temperature when i racked it to the carboy was around 74F and it is 80F now. I would say the temp range has been 70F at the lowest and 82F at the highest. I live on the coast in Biloxi MS, and i'm very environmentally-minded, so temp control has always been difficult since i hate running the AC. Hence the Belgian Saison yeast which does better at higher temps.

I will borrow a buddy's beer thief tomorrow and take a gravity reading. Thanks for the advice, this is my first time using the forum!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:11:02 am »
There are lots of ways to control fermentation temps that don't require big up front costs. You can simply submerse the fermenter in a container of water and cycle out frozen water bottles. Some have even bought the blue "cube" coolers and cut a hole in the lid to accommodate the carboy and cycle out frozen water bottles that way. Of course, nothing beats a chest freezer with a thermo control for ease and consistency.

Also, you can simply use a turkey baster (they cost about a buck) in lieu of a thief. I have even simply sanitized the opening of the carboy and poured the beer into a measuring cup.