Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cheapest Homebrew Starter Kit  (Read 3484 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
Cheapest Homebrew Starter Kit
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:53:34 am »
A lot of people have been asking me how expensive it is to get into brewing. So I decided to search around the net and find the best value for you money from the top 5 most trafficked homebrew supply stores. I compared all of the prices to what equipment you would get, including an extract kit to get started and it was interesting what I found out.

MoreBeer wins by the way.

Here is a link to my findings. I think this is good information for anyone looking to get their feet wet. So if you know anyone, pass it along!

Homebrewing Starter Kit Prices

Let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Cheapest Homebrew Starter Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:20:48 am »
Good Job Mike!   :)

I didn't see where morebeer included a spigot in the fermenter bucket, wouldn't you need an autosiphon then also?

Side note: I look more at cost per pound of malt now of course, and tally the shipping to see where the best price is.  If you're buying more than 10 pounds of grain, the flat rate shipping may not be as beneficial as a person thinks.   ;)

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »
The LD Carlson Better Beer Equipment kit Deluxe (1002BB) comes with quite a bit of stuff (capper, brushes, racking cane and tubing, etc.) including a PET Carboy.  We sell them for $105.00
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »

I didn't see where morebeer included a spigot in the fermenter bucket, wouldn't you need an autosiphon then also?

The picture shows a spigot... AND it comes with a bottle of StarSan! This one gets my vote!

StarSan/Iodophor is soooo much easier and more effective than bleach, which most beginners default to. (myself included, back in the day...)
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 07:35:56 am »
In morebeer's description it says the bottling bucket has a spigot, nothing about the fermenter and in the picture you can see a spigot but only in one of the buckets. 

What does LD Carlson kit cost to ship?  I bought my first from LD Carlson through a LHBS.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
LD Carlson's kit cost $25 for shipping for one unit.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com