Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dampfbier  (Read 18823 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Dampfbier
« on: July 03, 2010, 06:29:56 am »
A few years ago, I started a thread on the Northern Brewer forum about a little known style from Bavaria called Dampfbier.  I don't even remember how I first heard of this style, but I've brewed it several times since first formulating a recipe.  It's a great summer recipe (in fact, it's usually only available in the summer in Bavaria), so I thought I would share.  I know a few other members of this forum have brewed Dampfbier with success (babalu87, in particular ;)).

The only commercial example I've been able to find in the U.S. was a part of the August Schell 150th Anniversary series.  It was released in the summer of 2009.  It was a really nice beer, with the banana/clove aroma/flavor of a weissbier, but with more of what I would describe as a light märzen-like malt profile.

Here's a little about the style:
Dampfbier (literally: steam beer) is a centuries-old style from the region of the Bavarian Forest, the southeastern portion of Bavaria, near the Czech border. It is an all-barley ale, usually deep golden to light amber in color, with a unique feature: It is warm-fermented with Weissbier yeast at a temperature above 70°F (21°C), which gives the beer a sligh]tly phenolic aftertaste. Brewed mostly in the summer, it is medium-bodied, very mildly hopped, and low in effervescence.

Read more...

And here's my current recipe:
Dampfbier
23-A Specialty Beer
Author: Matt Schwandt

Size: 5.15 gal
Efficiency: 81.0%
Attenuation: 78.0%
Calories: 151.02 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.046 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 8.57 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 4.67% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 15.3 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
6 lb Pilsner Malt
2.5 lb Light Munich
.05 lb Carafa® TYPE I
1 oz Hallertau (3.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 L starter WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Notes
Single infusion batch sparge
-10.6 qts Strike H2O @ 167 ==> Saccharification @ 153 [60 min]
-8 qts added back @ 195 ==> Mashout @ 165 [10 min]
-14 qts Sparge H2O @ 185 ==> Sparge @ 170 [10 min]

-Ferment between 64-68

If you choose to brew a dampfbier or if you've brewed one before, tell us about it!   8)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:31:41 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline dee

• Cellarman
Re: Dampfbier
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:56:57 am »
I brewed this Dampfbier recipe recently and it turned out great.  This is a style that might appeal to people that don't particularly care for hefeweizen.  I think the yeast character is subdued without the wheat and that might make it more appealing.

Dampfbier 380 (11 gallon)
13.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.27 %
5.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 29.73 %
2.50 oz Crystal [3.30 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
WLP380

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:32:12 am »
Thanks for sharing Matt.

One of these days I want to give this recipe a try. Have you ever entered this in competition?
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:09 am »
No, but then again, I've never entered anything in a competition :o.  I've always wanted to, but I'm too lazy to bottle!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »
I brewed this Dampfbier recipe recently and it turned out great.  This is a style that might appeal to people that don't particularly care for hefeweizen.  I think the yeast character is subdued without the wheat and that might make it more appealing.

Dampfbier 380 (11 gallon)
13.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.27 %
5.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 29.73 %
2.50 oz Crystal [3.30 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
WLP380

Nice!  Yeah, I've had positive feedback on mine, even from people who don't really care for hefeweizen.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline chrisl

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:53:18 am »
I wanted to brew this as the California style of "Steam Beer".  I couldn't get wyeast 2112, I had to get wyeast 2124 instead.  Do you guys think I'll be OK for this?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
Not to mistake California Common (Steam beer) for Dampfbier (Steam Beer).
Those are completely different beers.

So on your question if using 2124 would work for your recipe.
You will have nice Marzen/Ortoberfest.

Dampfbier is using Hefe yeast
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:29 am »
Thought that I would bump this thread back up.  The dog days of summer is the perfect time to brew a dampfbier (temp controlled of course) and I just kegged up 10 gallons for Independence Day.  Even if you are not a fan of weizen this beer really hits the spot on a hot afternoon.

Sounds like summmer to me...

"Dampfbier (literally: steam beer) is a centuries-old style from the region of the Bavarian Forest, the southeastern portion of Bavaria, near the Czech border. It is an all-barley ale, usually deep golden to light amber in color, with a unique feature: It is warm-fermented with Weissbier yeast at a temperature above 70°F (21°C), which gives the beer a slightly phenolic aftertaste. Brewed mostly in the summer, it is medium-bodied, very mildly hopped, and low in effervescence."

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:13 pm »
PP, I just happened to come across your original posts on the NB forum earlier this week while I was looking for something totally unrelated.  I read them all and it got me thinking about giving this a try.  Then I got busy and forgot all about it.  Glad I saw this today.  I was trying to come up with a summery brew for a brew session next weekend and I think your recipe will be it.  ;D
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline brians

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:27 pm »
Thanks for sharing, looks tasty.

How long do you like to condition this after brewing?

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 12:51:46 pm »
It's always good to revive this thread around this time of year!  I'm going to brew my annual dampfbier in the next few weeks. I'm going to double decoct mine this year. I'm also going to pitch with a portion of the slurry from one of my recent weissbiers (as traditional dampfbier brewers would have likely done at one time). I will likely ferment a bit higher than I normally do with weissbier yeast. I'm thinking between 68-70.

Dampfbier should be consumed relatively young like its wheat-based cousin hefeweizen. I'd say that once it's clear, it's ready to go.

Dampfbier is extremely refreshing on hot summer days and usually pleases a crowd. It's a great mid to late summer brew!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:26:04 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:57:35 pm »
Since it's brewed with weizen yeast you can drink it with minimal conditioning.  I generally go from primary to keg and let it sit for a week at serving temps before pouring a liter but I've also gone from kettle to glass before in 6 days with no detectable flaws.  WLP380 will take it from 1.048 to 1.011 in 3 days.  There is nothing faster in the universe except a berliner weisse!  

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »
It's always good to revive this thread around this time of year!  I'm going to brew my annual dampfbier in the next few weeks. I'm going to double decoct mine this year. I'm also going to pitch with a portion of the slurry from one of my recent weissbiers (as traditional dampfbier brewers would have likely done at one time). I will likely ferment a bit higher than I normally do with weissbier yeast. I'm thinking between 68-70.

Dampfbier should be consumed relatively young like its wheat-based cousin hefeweizen. I'd say that once its clear, it's ready to go.

Dampfbier is extremely refreshing on hot summer days and usually pleases a crowd. It's a great mid to late summer brew!

Thanks again for reviving an interesting style PP.  It's so easy, tasty and provides near instant gratification.  Long live Dampfbier! 

Offline seajellie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 02:28:36 pm »
I've only seen a few recipes on this style, but they've all been similar to the above: predominantly pils and munich malt, perhaps with some color adjustment. Has anyone out there experimented with this style and some caramunich or other malts?

At some point you'll get out of style and create something new  - could be good though. I'd like to see some other recipes in this vein if you have them.

I'll have a healthy slurry of Bav IV hefeweizen yeast next week. I usually get a big dose of citrus (orange) with this yeast... could be interesting with some cara-type malts....

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 03:35:23 pm »
My experience with Dampfbier is that the Munich really gives the recipe enough maltiness and caramalts might take it over the top. I usually go with 70/30 Pils/Munich but if you cut back a little on the Munich you could probably add some caramunich or maybe even some chocolate and still make a good example.  Maybe a Dunkeldampf.  I'm always amazed at how leaving the wheat out of what is basically a weizen recipe changes the beer.  WLP300 would probably be a better yeast choice in a darker version.  Dark and banana seem to go together.  Maybe it reminds me of banana bread.