Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How do I cut a keg?  (Read 8378 times)

Offline kohlerbeer

• 1st Kit
  • Pennsylvania
How do I cut a keg?
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
I am building my system.  I contacted a local brewery, and they gave me a damaged keg.  I intend to use it as a brew kettle.  It is an old style keg with a bung. 

To convert it to a kettle, I am going to cut an opening in the top and seal the bung.  Any suggestions on how I can cut the opening?  Dremel? blow torch?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier.....

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Re: How do I cut a keg?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:46 pm »
I use my 4 1'2" angle grinder with a skinny wheel on it to cut the top out, then i can use the piece i cut out for a false bottom after i drill a ton of holes in it.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »
Dont use a torch it wont cut SS. If you know a welder with a plasma cutter that will be best.

Or you have to use a jig saw or sawsall. But it takes forever and you will use a lot of blades.

Do you have a grinder? You can fix a grinder to some kind of guide using the bung hole as a center point.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline kohlerbeer

• 1st Kit
  • Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »
Thanks.  I like the idea of using the top as a false bottom.
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier.....

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:43:47 pm »
np, for the guide i just used the safety shield on my grinder and pressed it up against the outer rim of the keg, that gives me the biggest hole in the top and then you can cut down the top to best fit the bottom to use as the FB
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:27 pm »
I have used a cut-off wheel on a die grinder with success.  One thing I found useful was to have water in the keg - it cuts down on the noise and heat.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:34:13 pm »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:44 pm »
$15 for a professional to do it with a plasma torch. I tried DIY, busted a wheel, got a monster welt on my leg, loaded em all up on the truck and paid a pro. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of DIY - just sayin', me and grinders -  :-\
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:41:41 am »
I've done 5 with a pneumatic angle grinder and cut off wheel.  First one (total of 6) someone else did with a plasma torch, and it took 3 times as long to clean that up than it took to cut out and clean up with an angle grinder.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:23:22 am »
All of the above work. I would recommend using the tools that you already have and saving the $ for ingredients.
Brew on

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »
Dont use a torch it wont cut SS. If you know a welder with a plasma cutter that will be best.

Or you have to use a jig saw or sawsall. But it takes forever and you will use a lot of blades.

Do you have a grinder? You can fix a grinder to some kind of guide using the bung hole as a center point.

+1 on the plasma cutter.  I'm lucky enough the guy accross the street has one.  It's amazing simple with a plasma cutter.

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »
grinder with a cut off wheel worked for me. I kinda suck at it so it's a little jagged in spots.most people would be fine.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 07:03:10 pm »
I've done 5 with a pneumatic angle grinder and cut off wheel.  First one (total of 6) someone else did with a plasma torch, and it took 3 times as long to clean that up than it took to cut out and clean up with an angle grinder.

I think I know why it was so rough. If you cut stainless with compressed air the molten ss at the plasma point gets way contaminated. If you used compressed argon it makes for a much cleaner cut. Shouldn't need grinding at all. Because the argon shields as well as removes the material for the cut.

Also travel speed has a lot to do with the clean cut, you want to go real slow so to blow away all of the slag and molten metal.Move to fast and it back fills and hangs onto the parent metal.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline giant_macaskill

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 06:17:31 am »
Rule #1 when using a grinder - full face shield is required. Do not consider that optional.