Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Bottle Labels  (Read 21350 times)

Offline zacbwb

• Cellarman
Beer Bottle Labels
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:37:45 pm »
I was hoping someone had some advice on where to get good beer bottle labels made.  I have the artwork for a label created, but I dont know of a reputable place to have it placed onto labels.

I have also seen some do it yourself label making software, is any of that good/worth using?

I appreciate any advice I can get!

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Beer Bottle Labels
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »
I was hoping someone had some advice on where to get good beer bottle labels made.  I have the artwork for a label created, but I dont know of a reputable place to have it placed onto labels.

I have also seen some do it yourself label making software, is any of that good/worth using?

I appreciate any advice I can get!

It's easy to make lables , the trick is making them waterproof ( if you need to ?)

I use MS Publisher , then Avery lables , the come 6 to a sheet and come off pretty easy with hot water .
Brewing up history

Offline zacbwb

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »
I shouldn't need to make them waterproof...yet. Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at that.

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »
I shouldn't need to make them waterproof...yet. Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at that.

MS Publisher > Labels> Product> Jar .....3.5 " x 4 " , I forget which avery label it is ( number # ...) , but they work very well , I also then coat them with 3lb orange shellac for a 3D effect , it also adds an Old World kinda feel , here are some samples of mine :
Brewing up history

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:23 pm »
WOW!  Those labels are awesome.

I think that would be fun for gift sixers.  For session drinking, I refuse any additional marking beyond hitting the cap with a sharpie.

Offline zacbwb

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 02:53:49 pm »
Haha, yeah the sharpie usually does the trick.  We made an Oatmeal Stout for gifts, so I thought they would be a little prettier with some labels.

Offline KING__SIZE

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 04:22:06 pm »
I am picking up a YUDU screen printer for my crafty wife, and I was thinking of screening labels on my beer, carboys, etc.

It's excessive but so is making your own beer... I mean there are liquor stores but where is the fun in that?
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” Alexander Graham Bell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:46:23 pm »
I make my labels on plain paper and attach them with a glue stick.  This gives me a lot of flexibility on making the label.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »
When I was bottling, I used 3/4" round Avery labels and stuck them on the caps.  Not as spiffy as full labels on the bottle, but nicer than marking the caps with a Sharpie, and a lot easier to deal with than regular labels.  They come off with the cap, so there is no scraping or cleaning them off.  There is an Avery MS-Word template available online - just search for the label's product number.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:48:38 pm »
When I was bottling, I used 3/4" round Avery labels and stuck them on the caps.  Not as spiffy as full labels on the bottle, but nicer than marking the caps with a Sharpie, and a lot easier to deal with than regular labels.  They come off with the cap, so there is no scraping or cleaning them off.  There is an Avery MS-Word template available online - just search for the label's product number.
Yeah, that works great. I store my conditioning beers in Goose Island 12-packs and make an oversize labels for the boxes. I put Avery stickers on the caps so I can tell what they are in the fridge.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 10:14:09 pm »
i made spiffy labels for brews the first two years I brewed, then I went to using the blue painters tape on it and sharpy-ing it on the label with name abv and date.  now I keg, but the kegs have the same blue painters tape labels. 

the UPS label stickers (the blank ones that you print on) make great labels too, if you happen to have access to them at work. 

Offline norwegiangeek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 12:49:16 pm »
Anyone else cringe when they see Publisher?

I do some graphic design, as part of my job, using CS4 (just upgraded from CS3 last week  ;D ) and can't believe how many times I've been asked to turn my beautiful design work into a Publisher....or worse, Word document so they can make changes.

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 05:07:38 pm »
Anyone else cringe when they see Publisher?

I do some graphic design, as part of my job, using CS4 (just upgraded from CS3 last week  ;D ) and can't believe how many times I've been asked to turn my beautiful design work into a Publisher....or worse, Word document so they can make changes.

Did you cringe when you looked at my labels ? , I would love to use Photoshop, but for me it's too many complicated options , I spend most of my time brewing, and Publisher is easy for PC shut-in types like me to use, I suspect your clients find it easy to use too  :D
Brewing up history

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 05:48:04 pm »
What's a good price for MS Publisher these days?

The labels shown above are really cool!
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »
There are open source publishing and image editing software.

http://www.gimp.org/ = Pixel editing
http://www.inkscape.org/ = SVG editing
http://www.scribus.net/ = Publishing

Does not cost any $$.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com