I posted this same topic over at "the other place"
I decided to follow the progress of a recent batch of BVIP by running samples on HPLC. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now.
The recipe is listed below. Its Denny’s recipe, but I had to make some modifications due to being low on brown malt, so, I guess its not really Denny’s recipe
13.9# rhar two row
1# crisp brown
I experienced a long lag time with this one. There was finally activity somewhere between 50 and 63 hours after inoculation. I pitched plenty of yeast (wyeast 1272). The problem, I suspect, was that the yeast was centrifuged after harvesting it from a previous batch. This made the consistency of the yeast almost like peanut butter. My guess is that the large clumps were not dispersed into the wort well at all, leading to the lag. Once it got going it was very active, blowing out of the airlock.
At each sampling point, about 10mL was pulled from the center of the fermentor. A pH measurement was taken with a Fisher Scientific Accumet Excel pH meter, and the sample was filtered for HPLC
On the graphs, there is a "-1" timpoint which is representative of the preboil wort. The "0" timepoint represents the wort postboil, before inoculation. The DP4+ represents a lot of compounds that did not interact with the column. Dextrins and longer chain sugars will be included in this value.
I plan to add to this data as the beer finishes. I'll take more samples when I add vanilla bean in the secondary, bourbon, and again after carbonation. I have values for the following, but have not included all of this on the graph.
D/L 2_3 Butanediol