Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: watery flavor to finished beer  (Read 15571 times)

Offline hornets nectar

• 1st Kit
watery flavor to finished beer
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:51 pm »
I am noticing  a Watery flavor or weakness to my beer.
Can this be conected to the ph level .
I ask that since I have not been checking it and am trying to find a reason or a fix.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: watery flavor to finished beer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »
Hey Hornet,  Welcome to the forum!!

Can you please post an example of a recipe, process/procedure, gravity readings, yeast and fermentation temps & times of a brew you are tasting as watery?  Maybe we can help narrow it down for you.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 02:35:51 pm »
If you pH is off it can make a beer fall flat on you palate. Speaking of flat, make your you carbonation is in the correct range. Different type of 'flat" but both can lead to watery tasting beer.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:47:50 pm »
Take a pH reading of the finished beer at room temperature.  It should be in the 4.1 to 4.5 range.  Too high and it can taste dull.  Too low and it can taste thin, and start tasting sour.

But, yeah, we need some more details to give you specific help.  Do you have any local judges or experienced brewers that can help you identify the flavors?  There are a lot of different things to try, but it would help if we can narrow it down first.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »
A light beer with a lot of forward flavor can leave a watery finish.  I've experienced this with a light pale ale that I missed the OG by quite a bit and a Scottish 60.  The pale ale aged into something very tasty as the hop flavor imbalance faded....I'm still waiting on the Scottish 60 for the same.  Try giving it some time...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:18:46 am »
I am noticing  a Watery flavor or weakness to my beer.
Can this be conected to the ph level .
I ask that since I have not been checking it and am trying to find a reason or a fix.

Really there's little reason to attempt a diagnosis without a recipe and brewing info. Is it an ongoing problem or just your latest batch?

But maybe Gordon gave you all the info you need... ???

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:00:18 pm »
Take a pH reading of the finished beer at room temperature.  It should be in the 4.1 to 4.5 range.  Too high and it can taste dull.  Too low and it can taste thin, and start tasting sour.

I'm curious - When taking the pH of a finished beer at room temperature, do you also wait for the beer to go flat?   Or will the dissolved CO2 not make any difference?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:33:48 pm »
I don't do it, but I generally measure this before I carbonate the beer.  So I don't really know.  I doubt it would make much of a difference.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:31:29 am »
I have a friend who frequently complains that beers are 'watery'. He applies this to commerical beers as well as home-brew. What it seems he means by this is actually light-bodied, but has yet to develop his tasting skills and vocabulary.

You say 'watery flavor or weakness'. I wonder if this isn't an issue of the mouthfeel. More detail on the process (gravity readings, mash temps, etc) and recipe, as others have said will be needed to help narrow this down.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline senorpantalones

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07:49 pm »
pH is almost definitely not your problem. If youre brewing with extract, pH is not a concern at all. Poor fermentation is the most likely cause of thin and lifeless beer in my experience. Try pitching more healthy yeast and ferment cool.

I don't do it, but I generally measure this before I carbonate the beer.  So I don't really know.  I doubt it would make much of a difference.

I tested some Fat Tire yesterday when I was calibrating a pH meter and it read 4.6 so that makes it seem like carbonation doesn't affect the pH.