Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tips for turning beer around quickly  (Read 4480 times)

Offline senorpantalones

• 1st Kit
tips for turning beer around quickly
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:15:09 am »
I usually dont rush my beers but ocassionally I do need to brew for a party or whatever where I need to turn the beer around quickly. The local brewpub has beers on tap just a few weeks after brewing and I think thats pretty common for brewpubs. I feel like there must be something Im missing. Anyone have any tips for getting beer on tap quickly that still tastes good?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: tips for turning beer around quickly
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:37:19 am »
Yes.

I'll probably be ding'd for it but if you want a kegged beer to drink in 8 days this WORKS:

Use extract and cane sugar 60/40 and steep if you want to. Hop around 40 IBU. Or more. The trick is to use yeast with high flocculation characteristics like Nottingham. On the 8th day keg, chill and force carb.

This doesn't do so well if you let it sit in primary for longer than 8 days. To do that you need to use 100% extract. Seems to me that with the cane sugar it tastes a little cleaner at that young age. However, let it sit too long it's like Schlitz. Gotta halt that fermentation and retain a little sweetness and mouthfeel by chilling.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:21:46 am »
What euge is saying will definitely work.  I prefer a different approach though :)

If you're in a rush and need something for a party, the first thing to do is think "low gravity ale".  A mild, Scottish 60/-, brown ale, Irish stout, even a lower gravity pale ale can be pulled off in less than a week.  You'll have time to dry hop it for a few days if you want.  Pitch more yeast than you think you should, 1.5-2x what Mr. Malty says.  Ferment should finish within 3 days if you keep the gravity under 1.045, or even higher.  Let it clear, keg and force carbonate it.

I've done it a few times, it totally works.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:46:47 am »
Tom's right I forgot to mention you'd be in the 4-5% alcohol range. Honestly, I think you could pull it off in 5 days but convention pushes me to go longer...

Try it. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:29 am »
Tom's right about the pitching rate.  More is better.
Not sure why euge thinks it has to be extract.  All grain will work well quickly also.
I like to start the ferment cool (60F) then raise the temp after three or four days for a diacetyl rest (70F), then crash cool it for a day to drop the yeast (40F) and then keg.  I've had a regular strength APA done in a week like this.  I call it particle accelerator pale ale.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline anthayes

• 1st Kit
    • HayesenBrau
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:34:19 am »
I quite often brew on a Saturday and serve the following Friday.

English running beer is what you are after - ordinary bitter, London brown ale, milds, sweet stouts, etc..

Both Windsor and Nottingham yeasts can finish by Wednesday - Windsor finishes before Nottingham but doesn't ferment as dry.
Two sachets of dry yeast for 20 litres does the trick. I ferment at around 18°C.

Rack into a keg Wednesday night and chill. Carbonate (and dry hop) Thursday night and serve on Friday night.

The beer may be a little hazy - ceramic mugs help - but fresh beer tastes great.

Ant Hayes
Tonbridge, Kent
Soek jy die oerkroeg se bier

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:57:38 am »
I've done kegged ales in one week...most often low gravity ales mashed warm (154-156F) and fermented with highly flocculant yeasts...typically it goes into the keg on the 5th day. Add a healthy dose of dry hops to *mask* any "green" aromas, and you've got a respectable session beer. Called it a "Blitz Bitter"...even if not always technically an English Bitter; honestly, with a big dose of EKG, no one knew the difference anyway!

Here's one of the simple recipes (for 5.5 gallons):
6.5 lbs Pale Ale malt
0.5 lbs crystal 60
1.5 ounces ~ 5.0% AAU hops 60 minute boil
0.5 ounce of awesome aroma dry hops in keg
Yeast: Safale S-04 or Windsor ale or White Labs WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 or Wyeast 1332

Good luck

Postscript: I guess I was typing while Ant was posting...so mine is a "Ditto" of what he said; and considering his locale, he should know session brews!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:03:21 am by kerneldustjacket »
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:24 am »
I have gone from grain to glass in 8 days using 1968/002, and that was withouit crash cooling.  Milds and Ordinary Bitter are the choice for this.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:19:34 am »
It doesn't have to be extract. But it's quick and easy. ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 11:33:12 am »
AFAIC it all has to do with style. Certain styles lend themselves to being finished quickly. Some don't. I can usually turn around an American IPA in 2-3 weeks. A wheat beer in 1-2 weeks. The tip about using a highly flocculative yeast is a good one. But another trick is brewing a wheat beer. For instance, during the summer I don't brew much. So I often run low on beer. When the kegs start to run dry I brew my "hoppy wheat beer" - basically an APA with 50% wheat in the grist and US-05 that I drink cloudy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »
Every time I've tried to rush a beer to have it ready by a certain date, I've been disappointed in the result.  Doesn't mean I won't keep doing it, but I don't expect perfection when I do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:28 pm »
I have never tried to rush a beer as I always have several beers in the pipeline.  That being said, I think the yeast is the key here. The fast fermenting and high flocculating yeasts will enable this to happen. I recently made an APA using Pacman yeast with 50 GU's that fermented down to 1.010 and was pretty darn clear in 5 days. It also tasted great out of the hydrometer tube.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 12:35:04 pm »
And it depends why and who your audience is. A crowd of beer drinkers might not realize that it isn't perfection (if it falls short of our expectations), but then again it might be just right for the situation.

We're grimacing and sipping and they're chugging it down...  ;)

I find that "fixing" something after the fact causes more problems when the gambit goes awry.

Offline senorpantalones

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:40:33 pm »
Every time I've tried to rush a beer to have it ready by a certain date, I've been disappointed in the result.  Doesn't mean I won't keep doing it, but I don't expect perfection when I do.

I've done it in the past, too. I'm just always a bit disappointed. Always tastes 'green' to me. I should experiment with a huge pitch of yeast. I bet that's something that breweries/brewpubs do (especially if they're using something clean like american ale) to get good tasting beer quickly. I've also wondered if filtration might help.

So I guess my real question was not just how do you make beer quickly, but how do you make quickly produced beer taste great?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »
And it depends why and who your audience is. A crowd of beer drinkers might not realize that it isn't perfection (if it falls short of our expectations), but then again it might be just right for the situation.

If I'm not happy with it, I have a hard time giving it to someone else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell