Have you had real Al Pastor?

I sure have!
17 (54.8%)
Al who?
9 (29%)
No pants
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Al Pastor  (Read 12857 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Al Pastor
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »
How many of you guys have had the real deal? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor

Where I live now, in Southern Oregon, they try and fake it by cooking the pork in a frying pan, with chiles/spices.  It doesn't fly.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Al Pastor
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »
You should set this up as a poll. . .

I've never had the real thing, never even heard of it that I can recall.  It sounds good though :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:11 pm »
There's a guy in Pecos Texas who does this for weddings and other big parties.  We ran across him at a graduation party for a friend getting a Masters.  It was pretty good, but really seemed like a lot more show than substance.  Pork has to be well done, and that's tough to do on this setup.  He would shave some half cooked meat, then stir fry it before serving it to the guests. The marinade was good but I think it would have been as good cooked on a disc and a lot simpler.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »
I fake it by using rib trimmings, which I smoke along with the ribs, then slice them up and freeze them for such things.  Not super authentic, but you can't really go wrong with smoked rib meat tacos.  I like to add pineapple, the wife not so much.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:05 pm »
Sure. Quite possibly the best restaurant in Kansas City serves it on a fantastic 1.25 taco.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:16 pm »
Ever since leaving Chicago I've been trying to find an Al Pastor recipe to rival what I ate there. I'm hoping Kenji on Serious Eats will get to doing one sometime soon, but we'll see. If you've got a recipe, post it, I'd be happy to try.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »
Sure. Quite possibly the best restaurant in Kansas City serves it on a fantastic 1.25 taco.

Which one would that be?  I'm south of the stadium complex in east KC.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:48 pm »
There's a guy in Pecos Texas who does this for weddings and other big parties.  We ran across him at a graduation party for a friend getting a Masters.  It was pretty good, but really seemed like a lot more show than substance.  Pork has to be well done, and that's tough to do on this setup.  He would shave some half cooked meat, then stir fry it before serving it to the guests. The marinade was good but I think it would have been as good cooked on a disc and a lot simpler.

He did not know what he was doing IMHO...

The best I've had was in East Los Angeles at King Taco.  We would only venture down there during the day when the foot patrolman was on duty.  Gang territory back then in the early 80s...

Anyway, theses $1 tacos were served on a small, double layered corn tortilla.  There was the meat followed by finely chopped cabbage, finely chopped white onion/cilantro mix, a white Mexican cheese, and the optional searing red sauce.  It was the type of bold flavor that would stay with you all day.  Damn, I miss it.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 03:00:25 pm »
Ever since leaving Chicago I've been trying to find an Al Pastor recipe to rival what I ate there. I'm hoping Kenji on Serious Eats will get to doing one sometime soon, but we'll see. If you've got a recipe, post it, I'd be happy to try.

I cannot vouch for this recipe as it is an adaptation.  Any recipe will be an adaptation if one doesn't have the vertical rotisserie.
http://mexicofoodandmore.com/dinner/tacos-al-pastor.html

I think I would marinate the pork over night in the chile/spice mix..

One more...
http://www.ehow.com/how_2176065_make-tacos-al-pastor.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:04:46 pm by roguejim »

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »

Which one would that be?  I'm south of the stadium complex in east KC.

El Camino Real in downtown KCK. They have a second location but I am only vouching for the original location. I've done some exploring of the menu but the tacos are really why this place is so notable.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 03:30:03 pm »
Never had the opportunity to try this.  Sounds very good though.
I'll keep it in mind the next time I get down to the Southwestern area of the country.
I assume you can get it there?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:29 pm »
You should set this up as a poll. . .

Done!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »
Oh man its good. I get them at Taco Riendo in Philly. Not far from where I work actually.

Funny, I always thought that they made them another way and that Taco Riendo got their hands on one of those Greek rotisseries.
Now I know they are the real thing.

I should have know this place has tacos de lengua and tacos de cabasa. You can see the kitchen when they chop your taco meat  ans the cabasa is real cabasa. I always ask for the brain.

Bluesman maybe we should go there for lunch when we modify your brewstand.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 04:30:57 pm »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline flapjack

• Cellarman
  • Oak Park, IL
    • Flapjack Brew Club
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:50:08 pm »
I had them last year when I was in Mexico and they were great! The meat rotates in a "gyro machine" and has a fresh pineapple sitting above it, they slice the meat directly onto a double tortilla and then slice some of the pineapple on top. Another excellent thing I had while down there was in the Yucatan, the Cochinita Pibil taco. It's a pork shoulder (I think) marinated with achiote paste, wrapped in a banana leaf and then buried underground with coals. It comes out like pulled pork, served on hand-made tortillas with pickled onions and habanero sauce. Here's a pic

James
Flapjack Brew Club

On Tap: FlapJack O'lantern Pumpkin Cream Ale
Fermenting: Power Sit-Up Golden Strong Ale
Fermenting: Full Inch Imperial IPA
Next Brew: Vigilante Imperial Stout