Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Butterbeer anyone?  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
  • Making the world better -- one beer at a time
    • Multipassionate!
Butterbeer anyone?
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:41:35 am »
My wife and daughter went to the new Universal Studios Harry Potter theme park recently, and raved about the butterbeer. I've looked around the internet for recipes, and mostly, they seem to be versions of butterscotch cream soda. They're all mixtures of other ingredients, such as butter, brown sugar, cream soda, sometimes actual cream, spices, etc. Some are adult versions using butterscotch schnapps, most are sweet kids drinks.

From the descriptions in the books, butterbeer can be intoxicating, so I imagine it really should be brewed, not mixed. However, they do give it to children, so the alcohol content must not be too high, or else there's also a kids version in the wizarding world.

So, now that I've established myself as a complete geek, does anybody have any ideas for actually brewing butterbeer? I would think something along the lines of a cream soda or root beer, with some sort of butterscotch flavor would be the thing. Or am I the only one who has seriously considered this?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Butterbeer anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »
hMMM, Interesting, I have never heard of this. But I love egg cream sodas, sounds like it may be similar. Im having loads of success making soda with tibicos.Made a ginger ale that is very nice, started one last night using brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla bean.

I wonder how butter would work out, tibicos is related to kefir so the dairy would be fine but Im not sure it would carbonate with fat in there.

How are you thinking to make this, if you give it a try?

I never read a Harry Potter book nor have a seen the films, but I can see how a guy with pot in his name would like such a drink.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »
You mean like this stuff?

There's more here http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/?p=253193920
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:07:40 pm »
I suppose you could make regular beer but play around with different English ale yeasts and perhaps even German lager yeasts and purposely TRY to get a beer with a ton of diacetyl in it.  Ferment too cold, secondary early like after the first 3 or 4 days of fermentation, etc.  This should get you a relatively buttery beer if all the conditions are right, and if you used a yeast strain that is prone to it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »
I've used this one before, but hey, there are new people around.

Why make butter beer? Why not just buy Redhook ESB?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:58:40 pm »
I suppose you could make regular beer but play around with different English ale yeasts and perhaps even German lager yeasts and purposely TRY to get a beer with a ton of diacetyl in it.  Ferment too cold, secondary early like after the first 3 or 4 days of fermentation, etc.  This should get you a relatively buttery beer if all the conditions are right, and if you used a yeast strain that is prone to it.

If you want a ton of diacetyl, they sell it in the baking aisle.

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:43:23 pm »
Our club sponsored homebrew competition this year had a soda contest. The contest was for kids and judged by kids. My son did a butter beer and it won 1st place! He used Old Fashioned cream soda extract along with butterscotch syrup with a bit of butter extract. He made several batches in two liter bottles and force carbonated them until he got the flavor he wanted. It really was pretty tasty.

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/08-02-10-beer-rebels-unite-in-clear-lake-its-homebrew-for-one-and-all-jenga-for-some/

Had to brag on my boy a bit!

I'm not sure I would want an alcoholic version but I'm sure there is a butterscotch liquer out there!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:48:33 pm by mrdrysdale64 »
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
    • Multipassionate!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 02:49:57 pm »
hMMM, Interesting, I have never heard of this. But I love egg cream sodas, sounds like it may be similar. Im having loads of success making soda with tibicos.Made a ginger ale that is very nice, started one last night using brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla bean.

I wonder how butter would work out, tibicos is related to kefir so the dairy would be fine but Im not sure it would carbonate with fat in there.

How are you thinking to make this, if you give it a try?

I really have no idea how I would try this, was looking for some guidance here. It's an intriguing idea though. I like the idea of egg cream soda, that really does sound like it would work.

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
    • Multipassionate!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 08:29:13 pm »

OK, now I've been to Harry Potter World myself and had butterbeer, so I'm reviving this thread. Please think about all the stuff you avoid to eliminate diacetyl, and give me to opposite advice. I think I need to drive diacetyl through the roof to accomplish this. What malt/yeast/techniques will produce the most diacetyl?

Sounds like 1st, short, cold fermentation. What yeast? I've seen recommendations of Irish ale yeast, English ale yeast, and perhaps German lager yeast. Would I lager it, or brew ale with the lager yeast? Any hints appreciated.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 01:00:05 pm »

Just brew up a D bomb and do your boil with the lid on. We’ve talked about butter beer in our homebrew club. Diacetyl works great for that flavor.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 01:39:09 pm »

Just brew up a D bomb and do your boil with the lid on. We’ve talked about butter beer in our homebrew club. Diacetyl works great for that flavor.

Boiling with the lid on is generally cited for DMS.  Does it produce diacetyl, too?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 02:02:58 pm »
^^^ you right. But corn and butter flavor together. Sounds about as good as butter beer, plus you get the creamy goodness from leaving the lid on.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 02:03:53 pm »
^^^ you right. But corn and butter flavor together. Sounds about as good as butter beer, plus you get the creamy goodness from leaving the lid on.

To me DMS is more like cooked cabbage than corn
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Michael Thompson

• 1st Kit
    • Multipassionate!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 03:59:26 pm »

Thanks, but if I knew how to brew a D bomb, I would have tried it. I think that's what I'm asking. :-)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 04:13:16 pm »
Ferment too cold, secondary early like after the first 3 or 4 days of fermentation, etc.  This should get you a relatively buttery beer if all the conditions are right, and if you used a yeast strain that is prone to it.

I suppose I could take a look at my old lager brew logs and figure out which yeast caused the most diacetyl for me -- await an update from me in a little while.  My guess is probably 2308 or WLP820 or both -- I haven't used either one of those in many years now, and haven't had any diacetyl problems at all in many years either (which I think is good, but you...)

In addition to my old quote above, you could also lock in diacetyl by racking early and often.  Yeast eats diacetyl.  But after primary fermentation is mostly complete, if you immediately rack the beer, chill it down, wait a couple days, then rack again, thus removing like 99% of all the yeast, there won't be as many yeasties to eat the diacetyl, thus locking it in a bit.

You're crazy, you've been gone a while, but you're obviously serious about your request, so we'll help you out if we can.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.