Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Orval  (Read 5050 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Orval
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:55:54 pm »
My third in three years. Now I'm like wow since my sinuses have cleared it's been beer heaven. Orval brings me close. I'm getting a nice bitter and lightly soured beer with a hint of bubblegum. Juicy fruit. Light astringency and faint sweet caramel malt tones followe dby  a faint tropical nose.

Effervescent it's held a nice head all the way down the goblet.  :D

I like the dating on the label:
Code: [Select]
bottled on
25/03/2010
25/03/2015
best by

This is going into regular rotation.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
Re: Orval
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:25:42 am »
Orval is God`s homebrew  :D
Few wks old its good,  3-4 months its better and after 1yr its heaven in a glass.
 Second trip to Orval> ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:35:07 am by uthristy »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:23:49 am »
I remember having it from a Del Haize (Food Lion) in Belgium and the freshness dating indicated it was like 3 weeks from having been bottled. Fantastic stuff...FWIW - I seem to recall Stan H saying something in a talk once about the bottling and 6 weeks, but I'm pretty sure it was young and fantastic. Oh and cheap...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 06:45:51 am »
I have to say, I haven't found Orval that enticing. My favorite Belgian so far has been Kwak... Not sure what it is about Orval I don't like. Last time I poured some I had wayyyyy too much foam, and there was a super strong bite to it. Too young maybe? Not treated properly?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:11 am »
If you got it in the US it was definitely not too young. It could be you don't like the Brett character which can be anywhere from subdued to strong depending upon age and handling.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 07:46:45 am »
Nope, got it from Intermarche in France.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

narvin

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 09:18:32 am »
I have to say, I haven't found Orval that enticing. My favorite Belgian so far has been Kwak... Not sure what it is about Orval I don't like. Last time I poured some I had wayyyyy too much foam, and there was a super strong bite to it. Too young maybe? Not treated properly?

Orval is highly carbonated, yes.  Pour it more gently : )

It is also dry hopped, and brewed with high bicarbonate water like many of the Wallonian and French farmhouse ales.  This definitely gives it a rustic, grainy, somewhat harsher bitterness, and depending on how young the beer is, it may not be to your palate.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:54 pm »

I am with you. Not a fan of "horse blanket" beer  :o
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »
I didn't get any farmyard funk out of this bottle. Actually I would have been hard pressed to say it had much of what I call "bugged character." Just a faint hint, and if I hadn't been looking for it wouldn't have noticed.

Very nice. I might have to try and replicate this. Looking at the other clone thread I'm impressed with the high bicarbonate water. It's a little high for the apparent SRM (loosely) so the astringency factor probably won't be that much of a stretch with my local water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:23:02 pm »
Orval is indeed the nectar of the Gods.  I try to keep 10 or so on hand of varying ages, right now I think my oldest is about 2 years old.
I always have a beer on tap that I partially ferment with Orval dregs.  Right now it's a big saison, around 1.090 OG with dregs from 2 Orval bottles.  I've never tried a true Orval clone, but I don't think it would be that comlicated.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 02:42:05 am »
Every bottle I drink seems to be different, but I always like it. My most recent must've been very fresh. I was surprised by the maltiness and didn't detect any brett character at all.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:22 am »
Orval is one of my favorite beers. I've had it fresh and aged. Love them both. I wouldn't call it a "soured" beer, since brett doesn't produce very much acidity. The brett character in Orval is certainly pronounced, especially once it ages. But it is mellow. To me the brett adds subtle hints of cherry pie, especially once it ages.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 12:17:05 pm »
Orval is one of my favorite beers. I've had it fresh and aged. Love them both. I wouldn't call it a "soured" beer, since brett doesn't produce very much acidity. The brett character in Orval is certainly pronounced, especially once it ages. But it is mellow. To me the brett adds subtle hints of cherry pie, especially once it ages.

Mine tasted like barn water runoff. The only reason I finished it was because it was $6 for a little bottle  ;D

I may need to try it again, seems like I got a bad bottle?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:33:32 pm »

Mine tasted like barn water runoff. The only reason I finished it was because it was $6 for a little bottle  ;D

I may need to try it again, seems like I got a bad bottle?

You may just need to refine your palette.  ;) Seriously, some people just aren't a fan of brettanomyces. Its understandable. It is a very complex flavor.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 05:56:13 pm »
Only beer I've ever tried that I dumped out was Hanssens Oude Kriek.  Ye gods, man.  Awful stuff, at least according to my memory.  I tried Orval and I remember being a bit underwhelmed, but I was trying a lot of beers back then and I probably didn't really focus on it enough.  One of my favorite trappist brews is actually one of the underdogs, koningshoeven.  I remember their tripel had a winey, borderline grapey vinuous note that I loved.  But its probably been five years since I've tasted it!