Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mill motor  (Read 28119 times)

narvin

Re: Mill motor
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 10:37:27 am »
What did you use for the bracket to mount the motor?

Picked these up at the depot... they have holes at just the right spots.  Must either be my dumb luck or some ANSI standard  ;D

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202033930/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I milled 20 lbs this morning and it took approximately 3 minutes.  Go monster mill! I set the gap at .039 using a feeler gauge I got at Auto Zone, and the crush looks far better than what I was getting at the LHBS, so I have high hopes for efficiency improvements.  Plus, I was sick of hauling grain that I had bought by the sack back to the store.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:39:54 am by narvin »

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 10:37:58 am »
So I bought the motor (177.7 rpm version) and it works great.  No problems with a monster mill 2-roller.  I did buy the larger lovejoy couplings rated for 40 in-lb of torque at McMaster:

6408K123    Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling Hub 3/8" Bore, 1-23/64" OD, without Keyway    $3.62   
6408K712    Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling Hub 1/2" Bore, 1-23/64" OD, with Keyway       $3.62
6408K73    Buna-N Spider for 1-23/64" Outside Diameter Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling Hub   $2.15

I wired it up with a combination single pole / 3 way switch so I can reverse it if necessary, but I haven't had a jam yet.

Really nice. Love the clean look, everything where it needs to be.  I'm gonna burn out my 18V cordless soon if I don't do something similar.  Just curious, what was the total bill for everything?  

narvin

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 11:13:31 am »

Really nice. Love the clean look, everything where it needs to be.  I'm gonna burn out my 18V cordless soon if I don't do something similar.  Just curious, what was the total bill for everything?  

Probably more than I anticipated :). The boards, brackets, junction box for the capacitor, switch and switch box, 16 gauge power cord, and assorted nuts and bolts cost around $60 total, plus $15 for the coupling from McMaster with shipping.  I probably could have saved some money if I had more scrap laying around.  This was on top of the motor (with shipping, $55) and monster mill + hopper (stainless steel rollers, around $190).  Still worth it though.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:16:03 am by narvin »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 07:55:00 pm »
So I bought the motor (177.7 rpm version) and it works great.  No problems with a monster mill 2-roller.  I did buy the larger lovejoy couplings rated for 40 in-lb of torque at McMaster:

6408K123    Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling Hub 3/8" Bore, 1-23/64" OD, without Keyway    $3.62   
6408K712    Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling Hub 1/2" Bore, 1-23/64" OD, with Keyway       $3.62
6408K73    Buna-N Spider for 1-23/64" Outside Diameter Flexible Spider Shaft Coupling Hub   $2.15

I wired it up with a combination single pole / 3 way switch so I can reverse it if necessary, but I haven't had a jam yet.

Looks very pretty.
Thank you for the bracket info.

I used galvanized corner hangers but they are too soft to hold the motor.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
  • Great beer - built from the ground up!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »
Following the advice in this thread, I motorized the old (well, relatively new actually) MM3. It worked great! Relatively easy and economical -- we'll see how it does with the upcoming brews... I expect to be putting about 150# through this guy in the next 4 weeks, so we'll see if it stands up to the challenge!

Thanks for the knowledge sharing on the forum -- let's keep this up, eh?!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:15:41 pm by wileycoyote »

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 12:04:55 am »
Nice mill build.  What's that in the back? It looks like you live in a small brewery, maybe 15bbl conicals?
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 06:55:02 am »
Nice mill build.  What's that in the back? It looks like you live in a small brewery, maybe 15bbl conicals?

Thanks! I owe all of the credit for the build to the previous posters --

The brewery in the back is my nano in it's pre-launch state -- 7 BBL conicals, B3 sculpture, etc... hoping to take it commercial in 12-18 months with some serious expansion on the brewhouse side. Good eye there on the conicals!

narvin

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 07:20:48 am »
Beautiful! 

I wish I had a garage or something... lugging my mill on a board up from the basement (more of a crawlspace) every time I need to brew is a workout in itself  :)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:55 pm »
Following the advice in this thread, I motorized the old (well, relatively new actually) MM3. It worked great! Relatively easy and economical -- we'll see how it does with the upcoming brews... I expect to be putting about 150# through this guy in the next 4 weeks, so we'll see if it stands up to the challenge!

I started with similar set up as you have but motor was too small.
I had to replace it with 1/2 hp motor.
Let us know how it works for you.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:14 pm »

Thanks! I owe all of the credit for the build to the previous posters --

The brewery in the back is my nano in it's pre-launch state -- 7 BBL conicals, B3 sculpture, etc... hoping to take it commercial in 12-18 months with some serious expansion on the brewhouse side. Good eye there on the conicals!

Some day soon then. Keep at it man.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 03:11:36 pm »

I started with similar set up as you have but motor was too small.
I had to replace it with 1/2 hp motor.
Let us know how it works for you.

So far, the only issue has been the spider gear bushing. After a small batch for a yeast starter, I had to replace the poly bushing as it was destroyed. >:( Go for the higher rated bushing and couplers from McMaster Carr. An no, the bushing from McMaster and the couplings from Surplus Center don't play well together... wish I would have known that on brew-day!!

Offline ronrock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 03:24:44 pm »
That looks great! Is that the Surplus Center motor? Has enough guts to handle the MM3? I would like to get my mill done soon, but just not sure about that motor.

Offline wiley

• Cellarman
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »
That looks great! Is that the Surplus Center motor? Has enough guts to handle the MM3? I would like to get my mill done soon, but just not sure about that motor.

Thanks! It is the Surplus Center motor -- so far, I've done 3 back to back 25 gallon batches with it. My efficiencies weren't where I was expecting, but I reason that has more to do with the mill gap adjustment than the mill motorization. As far was it being able to handle the MM3, the jury is still out. I've had it bind a couple of times, but I had that with a Dewalt corded drill too... I should have a couple more batches through this guy in the next few weeks, so I'll keep you posted.

At this point, my first impressions are "Meh"... those sentiments might warrant going with a bigger motor; but with a bigger motor, another set of challenges is presented ;)...

Offline ronrock

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 03:46:54 pm »
Thanks, yeah I know what you mean. I have been very anxious to motorize, but I don't want pulleys and belts. But I also can't seem to find a gear reduction with the appropriate speed and power. I keep hoping I'll run across one of the famed "Beefy Bodine" but so far no joy. I'm not even sure they are actually called Beefy Bodine, that's just what I have heard them referred as.

I'll hold off a bit longer and hope you reply with a thumbs up on your setup. It does look good.

Thanks Again,
Ron

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:29 pm »
Motor was not big enough for me.
I mill about 280 lb a pop.
I switch to 1/2 hp motor with shives and belt.
Working good so far.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing