Unfortunately both batches did not turn out as expected. One tested undecided, one tested low positive. My friend offered to guinea pig on the undecided one and although he had a really good time doing that, he said he paid for it the next day. Possibly his tolerance is very low, most likely there were just too many gluten ppm.
As the tests are $25 a pair and this would get way expensive if continued too far, I have decided to stop the experiment for now. Not sure what, if anything, in my procedures went wrong. Looking for more data.
In the meantime I did discover a lively discussion on the subject here:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/
It appears folks are making great progress developing decent beers that are made with gluten free ingredients. As soon as I find some time I will work on that angle.