Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: And now for something completely different......  (Read 6610 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
And now for something completely different......
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:57:06 pm »
If you have 15 minutes ........

This is Brew TV Dutch style.... as they visit a Student Dorm on Brew day.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlpGRE8I1A

And YOU were worried about sanitation? LOLOLOLOL......
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:04:18 am by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

jaybeerman

Re: And now for something completely different......
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »
I like that he starts the siphon and spits the wort back into the pot.  I also like the 1" of water on the kitchen floor.  Looks like good times and probably will result in a pretty good Irish Red Ale.  What was the second liquid addition to the boil?  The first one looked like caramelized wort and brown sugar?  Nice measurement of hops too.  While most college kids are making undrinkable hooch these guys looked like they had a decent brew set-up.  Cheers, j

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:19:36 pm »
Dutch beer fraternity? I wasn't sure if they eyeballed the grain or weighed it. And that guy said Irish Red in an American accent. Overall nice vid. I've seen worse apartments inhabited by college students with weirder things going on than brewing. :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:52:54 am »
And that guy said Irish Red in an American accent.

I think you meant dutch accent - remember, the dutch settled big parts of America. You'd be surprised how American Dutch/Flemish people can sound. I'm pretty good with accents and it's very difficult to tell.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:11:40 am »
Classy one-button green jacket on the guy around 3:00. Oscarvan, what's that they're saying for the toast at around 4:30?
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 03:16:29 am »

I think you meant dutch accent - remember, the dutch settled big parts of America. You'd be surprised how American Dutch/Flemish people can sound. I'm pretty good with accents and it's very difficult to tell.
Based on the number of foreign English speaking actors with American accents on U.S. TV, I think the American accent is either very easy to copy of taught to actors well :)  I mean, compared to American actors trying to do English/Irish/Australians etc accents, most of which seem to be craptacular.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 04:04:27 am »
I mean, compared to American actors trying to do English/Irish/Australians etc accents, most of which seem to be craptacular.

I concur: Kevin Costner, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves." 'Nuff said.
----

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:32:40 am »
I met Oscar ( BrouwTV) a few yrs ago at "Hopmans"  place while they were brewing.

Thats him in the green shirt>

Then comes the boilover :D

He also makes brewing software
http://www.brouwvisie.nl/

BrouwTV 2  has Adrie>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBiTWunJ3D0

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:01 am »
I wasn't sure if they eyeballed the grain or weighed it.

I think they knew how much a full pitcher weighed, but there was some discussion about the count..... ;D

The toast.....hmmmm

"High the hart.....high (unintelligible) high the beer"
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:45:10 am »
I suppose I could pick their process apart from start to finish but I think it's pretty cool to see the spirit of homebrewing captured on video. They will make beer, maybe not award winning beer  :-\ but beer. I'm sure there are infections waiting to grow but they will probably drink it all long before it will take hold.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:40 am »

Based on the number of foreign English speaking actors with American accents on U.S. TV, I think the American accent is either very easy to copy of taught to actors well :)  I mean, compared to American actors trying to do English/Irish/Australians etc accents, most of which seem to be craptacular.

Any actor who has studied in America at all will have been intensivly trained in 'standard american theatre speach' which is sort of a bland california accent that we all recognize as American. while most other accents are learned by useing a few little tricks to give the flavour without really trying to get it right (Vowel sound substitutions etc.).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 10:03:22 am »

I dunno man.  Ever seen "Big Fish"?  I absolutely LOVE that movie, but I crack up every time I hear Albert Finney do his "Southern US" accent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:20:22 am »

I dunno man.  Ever seen "Big Fish"?  I absolutely LOVE that movie, but I crack up every time I hear Albert Finney do his "Southern US" accent.
Never even heard of it.  I'm terrible with names but I was thinking more like Hugh Laurie (House), the guy from The Mentalist, and the girl from Chuck.

Here's someone's list:
http://www.listaholic.com/10-non-american-actors-playing-american-lead-roles-in-us-tv-shows.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:13 am »
Never even heard of it.  I'm terrible with names but I was thinking more like Hugh Laurie (House), the guy from The Mentalist, and the girl from Chuck.

Here's someone's list:
http://www.listaholic.com/10-non-american-actors-playing-american-lead-roles-in-us-tv-shows.html

See 'Big Fish' it is an amazing movie. albert finney can do an extremely good american standard accent 'Super Troopers' but the southern accent is more difficult. It is very regional. Hugh Laurie is an amazing actor on many levels and his accent is spot on standard american. The australian guy on house (Chase?) was supposed to be american but he couldn't get the accent so they let him be an aussie.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 11:00:31 am »
I'm really bad with actors' names like I said, but I don't think Albert Finney was in Super Troopers.  And IMDB doesn't list him.  He bears something of a resemblance to Brian Cox, is that who you were thinking of?
Tom Schmidlin