Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer in SW Florida???  (Read 12096 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Beer in SW Florida???
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
OK, whose leg do I have to hump to get a decent beer in Southwest Florida (Naples, to be precise)?  I looked in a few stores and can't find anything local.  I picked up some beer from a place called Key West that looked reasonable.  It was; Sunset Ale is an American Amber style ale, decent hops, nice caramel.  They made a witbier of sorts but it uses key lime instead of orange.  Nice twist.  It works.  Then I look at the fine print on the neck label and see that they're contract brewed by FX Matt in Utica, NY.  OK, it's a nice beer, but it's not from around here.  I'd like something fresh and local.  I'm getting ready to hop in the car and drive three hours to Jeffy's house for some homebrew.  Somebody throw me a life preserver, quick!
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Beer in SW Florida???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »
OK, whose leg do I have to hump to get a decent beer in Southwest Florida (Naples, to be precise)?  I looked in a few stores and can't find anything local.  I picked up some beer from a place called Key West that looked reasonable.  It was; Sunset Ale is an American Amber style ale, decent hops, nice caramel.  They made a witbier of sorts but it uses key lime instead of orange.  Nice twist.  It works.  Then I look at the fine print on the neck label and see that they're contract brewed by FX Matt in Utica, NY.  OK, it's a nice beer, but it's not from around here.  I'd like something fresh and local.  I'm getting ready to hop in the car and drive three hours to Jeffy's house for some homebrew.  Somebody throw me a life preserver, quick!

Haven't been down that way for a while, but a guick google shows Total Wine has a Naples location. They should likely have Cigar City beers ..... think you'll like them. If not, at least they'll have a decent variety of choices.

Hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-10pm, Fri-Sat 9am-11pm
Sun 9am-9pm

Phone
239 649-4979

Address
Carillon Place
5048 Airport Pulling Road
Naples, FL 34105
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »
Not beer, but have you been to the Bubbleroom out on Captiva?  I love that place.  Decent food and awesome Red Velvet Cake!!!

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »

Haven't been down that way for a while, but a guick google shows Total Wine has a Naples location. They should likely have Cigar City beers ..... think you'll like them. If not, at least they'll have a decent variety of choices.

Hours
Mon-Thurs 9am-10pm, Fri-Sat 9am-11pm
Sun 9am-9pm

Phone
239 649-4979

Address
Carillon Place
5048 Airport Pulling Road
Naples, FL 34105

Yeah, I was just looking up their address when Mark posted.  Cigar City doesn't look like it's available down there yet, according to their site.  I'll check with them and get back to you.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:13 pm »
take the Alligator Alley over to Palm Beach County and you can have beer at my house, then we'll head up to Tequesta Brewing Co.  ;D

I don't think Cigar City, Swamphead or Tequesta are in Naples yet, so you'll have to settle for Total Wine.  

They should have a great selection - Avery, Bells, Stone, etc. just nothing local unfortunately.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:50:34 pm »
take the Alligator Alley over to Palm Beach County and you can have beer at my house, then we'll head up to Tequesta Brewing Co.  ;D

I don't think Cigar City, Swamphead or Tequesta are in Naples yet, so you'll have to settle for Total Wine.  

They should have a great selection - Avery, Bells, Stone, etc. just nothing local unfortunately.

careful there, Paul...... Gordon may try to hump your leg ;D
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 02:00:43 pm »
OK, thanks for the tips.  Didn't know there was a Total Wine here.  I went to one previously in Ft. Myers.  Decent place.  I was just looking for beers that I couldn't get in Ohio.  This stuff masquerading as beer from Key West is fine, but I was hoping for something with less miles on it.

I'll have to plan ahead for the road trips next time.

Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 02:08:07 pm »
Joey from Cigar City says call Total Wine and check Whole Foods, too, but I didn't see that area covered by their distributors yet. 
You could prolly get to Blatz' house quicker than Tampa, but I have a nice Sparkling Key Lime Mead on tap if you make it up here.
Some good beer bars in Sarasota - that's a bit closer.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »
OK, thanks.  Total Foods is close too.  Cigar City is worth seeking out; I've heard such good things about them.  That's one I'd like to try.

Damn it, damn it, damn it.  Sparking Key Lime Mead?!?!?  AYFKM?  I really need to rent a car next time here...

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:25:40 pm »
This is the address for Whole Foods: 9101 Strada Place, Naples, FL 34108
(239) 552-5100 ‎
You should be able to find St. Somewhere there if you can't find CCB - it's made near here too.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:57 pm »
This is the address for Whole Foods: 9101 Strada Place, Naples, FL 34108
(239) 552-5100 ‎
You should be able to find St. Somewhere there if you can't find CCB - it's made near here too.

+1 on St Somewhere, they make some very interesting beer.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »
I stand corrected on some of the Key West beer.  I looked at the neck label of the wit, and it says it's brewed by the Florida Beer Company, Melbourne, FL.  OK, it's in the same state, but it's nowhere near Key West.  It's like Tampa, but on the East coast.

So since I dissed Florida beer, here's what it says: Key West Southernmost Wheat.  Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with spices and key lime.  Malted wheat, malted barley, cascade hops, first gold hops and all natural flavors: coriander, sweet orange peel, bitter orange peel and key lime.

It's crystal clear, not cloudy, but the flavor profile is great.  You taste the wheat, it has a crisp finish, it's not too bitter, it's not too heavy, it's not too sweet, and you can taste the key lime.  So it doesn't have the faults of many wits.  Super hot weather beer, which is good because it was 89F/32C today.

It's the Sunset Ale that's contract brewed in Utica.

I'm still going to check out those places you guys recommended for those brands, and I'm still unhappy I don't have a car.  I'll let you know what I find.  Thanks.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:11 pm »
careful there, Paul...... Gordon may try to hump your leg ;D

I'll be sure to wear my old jeans then  ;D

forgot about St Somewhere. - good call, while not my cup o' beer, I know they are well liked.

Gordon - if you wander over to Whole Foods rather than calling them, keep in mind CCB only has 2 beers in sixers: Jai Alai IPA and Maduro Brown, all the rest come in crowned 750 champagne bottles, which my WF keeps separate from the six pack shelves.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »
Didn't know that, but good tip.  WF is basically across the street so I'll likely just walk over there tonight.

Vacation sure is more fun than working.

And there's no way I would have gotten this real-time info from TechTalk.  Thank you, forum.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 02:58:54 pm »
And there's no way I would have gotten this real-time info from TechTalk.  Thank you, forum.
:D...troublemaker
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------