I made my Chamomile Ale yesterday. Overall the brew session went pretty well/I hit most of my targets, but I did learn a few things about my system:
-I only accounted for 1.20 qts of water per pound of grain. I came up slightly short in wort collection for the boil, so I need to increase that to 1.25 and/or increase the amount of sparge water. I also think I'm losing a bit more in my mash tun than I account for (False bottom space loss).
-My boil kettle is 14 Gallons (not 15). That makes a 12.5Gal - 12.8Gal boil volume dangerously close to the top of my boil kettle - I have to watch the hot break like a hawk (and some times kill the heat completely to avoid a boil over - though I haven't had one yet!). Due to this, I think I've always come up just a bit short on 10-gallon batches - due to not wanting the boil kettle over-full (so, by the time the boil is over, I have a little less than 10-gallons).
I also realized that I'll never get through the amount of beer I'm planning to brew (gotta start giving more away!), and that I'd like a bigger variety of beers available at once in my homebrew fridge.
So.... starting with my next batch, I'm going to start making 5 gallon batches again for a while (on my 10-gallon, all-grain system). I'm sure I'll still do the occasional 10-gallon batch, but I think I'm going to concentrate on 5-gallon batches again for a while. It'll let me brew more too.
So my next batch (next weekend, I think), will be 5-gallons of Imperial IPA.