Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling from keg  (Read 5867 times)

Offline jjmccuejr

• 1st Kit
Bottling from keg
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:50:44 pm »
I want to be able to bottle well conditioned, nicely carbonated brew from my kegs. I have done some research and it seems that I could either make my own counter-pressure bottle filler (using the BYO instructions) or buy one commercially made. I have been looking at the one from Fermentap and the Beer Gun by Blichmann. Any experience out there to help me make a decision. Thanks in advance. Brew on!!!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Bottling from keg
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:59:18 pm »
I just did this myself for the first time a couple weeks back.  I made my own CP filler with a racking cane and stopper.

It was EASY and worked great.

I had the kegs extra cold, the bottles cold, etc. and had zero foaming issues.

I've not yet opened a bottle (if I was going to drink it soon, I'd have left it in the kegs) but the DIY route worked great for me.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »
I like the Beer Gun because I believe I can get as good of a result as counter pressure (I was skeptical at first) and it is easier to clean. Ball valves cannot be cleaned in place and a counter pressure with sanitary valves or easy to disassemble (3 piece) ball valves would be inordinately heavy and expensive.

I once emailed Jamil since I knew he was particular about sanitation and used a counter pressure and he told me he took his all the way apart every time. I do that with my beer gun but it takes 30 seconds.

I did find out that the B3 counter pressure filler will stand up to being pasteurized in water. I never tried to sterilize it.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:58 pm »
I just use a really small tube (it's actually catheter tubing) and a very slow fill rate.  Works great!
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »
I just use a really small tube (it's actually catheter tubing) and a very slow fill rate.  Works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ZMW_sKSBc

;D sorry couldn't help it

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:06:14 am »
I use the picnic tap and bottling wand method.  Sanitize the bottles, cover the opening with foil, put in freezer.  Turn off gas, bleed kegs, turn gas down to 2-5 PSI, fill bottles to about an inch or half an inch from the top, cap on foam.  Works like a charm.
Jesse

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:37:55 am »
^^^^This.  IMO, this is easier and works just as good as a counter-pressure bottle filler.  I used to have one and tore it down for CO2 manifold parts.  I won another one in some competition and haven't used or touched it since. I really think those things are a waste of money and time.  Never used a beer gun though.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 06:08:53 am »
I use this:

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=18982&source=nextopia

and it works pretty well. I squirt some CO2 into the bottle first using a picnic tap attached to an empty keg with some co2 in it, and then use this to fill it up.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:29 pm »
I use this:

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=18982&source=nextopia

and it works pretty well. I squirt some CO2 into the bottle first using a picnic tap attached to an empty keg with some co2 in it, and then use this to fill it up.
Hmmm that's not a bad idea either.  I assume you turn down the gas on the regulator and bleed the keg also?
Jesse

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:46:35 am »
Some guys on another brewing forum made a bunch of doohickeys that you stick into your faucet and just bottle straight from there.  IIRC they used o-rings to seal.  I don't trust the sanitation of my faucets so I didn't even consider it.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:27:36 pm »
I'm a big fan of filling bottles from the faucet: turn off gas to keg, bleed most of the pressure through the release valve, purge bottle with CO2 from extra outlet on manifold, fill at an angle straight from tap, and cap on foam.

I fill all my competition bottles this way, and it works very well.  I usually don't lose more than an ounce or two of beer throughout the whole process.

I have perlick faucets with removable spouts, and I remove and sanitize them before bottling.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:45:40 am »
I'm a big fan of filling bottles from the faucet: turn off gas to keg, bleed most of the pressure through the release valve, purge bottle with CO2 from extra outlet on manifold, fill at an angle straight from tap, and cap on foam.

I fill all my competition bottles this way, and it works very well.  I usually don't lose more than an ounce or two of beer throughout the whole process.

I have perlick faucets with removable spouts, and I remove and sanitize them before bottling.
I have the same faucets, they're great.  Sometimes I forget to take the spouts off after a few kegs in the rotation and they get kinda stuck on there, but I can get them off after a second.  Need to remember to remove those more often to clean them.
Jesse

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:06:22 am »
I have both a Phil's Philler and a Beer Gun.  The Beer Gun (with the additional accessories kit) works like a charm.  It's easy to use and does the job with very little loss.  It's expensive, so you're paying for the convenience.

I don't use it to fill growlers.  For those I use a piece of 3/8" ID over the end of a picnic faucet and it does the job.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline bowiefan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:29:26 am »
Some guys on another brewing forum made a bunch of doohickeys that you stick into your faucet and just bottle straight from there.  IIRC they used o-rings to seal.  I don't trust the sanitation of my faucets so I didn't even consider it.

That guy is me. As for sanitation, it was designed for taking a sixer over to a buddy's house so that wouldn't be an issue most of the time. I do however also use it for longer term bottling and have found no issues with beers I bottled back in January when I first came up with the idea. I do keep my taps fairly clean though.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 10:24:17 am »
That guy is me.

Can you show us whatcha made?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----