Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2012 Zymurgy ideas  (Read 12909 times)

Offline jill

• Cellarman
2012 Zymurgy ideas
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »
Hi all,

I'm currently in planning mode for 2012 issues of Zymurgy. Is there anything in particular you'd like to see in the way of themes or articles? Specific beer styles? Brewing techniques? Equipment? Experiments? Brewing ingredients? Please post your ideas here.

Thanks!

Jill Redding
Zymurgy Editor-in-Chief

Offline keith238

• 1st Kit
  • South Jersey
Re: 2012 Zymurgy ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »
Hi Jill, I'd actually like to see some more articles on equipment both purchased and DIY. I'm sure you could devote entire issues to the topic. More realistically, I think it could be a regular feature with available commercial products highlighted and a DIY version to build yourself along with it.

Also, while not necessarily a magazine feature but rather one for the website: Any chance you guys could make more discounts available to members with say promotional codes, groupons or living social discounts for buying equipment or ingredients?

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:37:28 pm »
A DIY temp controller would be useful.

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:58:29 pm »
Update all of the Special Issues from the 1990s on hops, grains, yeast and include a new one on water.  Most of those issues--while being very important--are almost 20 years old.  I'm sure there are many things in those issues that can be updated and reflect more current grains, hops, etc.

It would be great to see a water issue.  A lot more brewers are getting more and more involved with their water chemistry and there are a lot of great resources out there now that didn't exist a few years ago.

A refresh on those issues would be very, very helpful.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:49:41 pm »
Update all of the Special Issues from the 1990s on hops, grains, yeast and include a new one on water.  Most of those issues--while being very important--are almost 20 years old.  I'm sure there are many things in those issues that can be updated and reflect more current grains, hops, etc.

It would be great to see a water issue.  A lot more brewers are getting more and more involved with their water chemistry and there are a lot of great resources out there now that didn't exist a few years ago.

This is a great idea!  I love those special issues.
Member #: 900000767

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
echo the equipment, especially smaller brewing/kegging etc. 1-3gallon batches
Don AHA member

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »
1. Brettanomyces
2. Alternatives to oak/exotic wood aging
3. Use of New Zealand hop varieties in beer
4. West Coast bitters/San Diego session ales
5. Water chemistry

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:38:53 pm »
hey Jill, here's a few thoughts, but I'd mostly say keep up the good work.  cheers, j

1.  Myth busting segments.
2.  More Classic cultural styles (e.g. Grodziskie) that require unusual technique/ingredients w/ explanation from experienced brewers/historians.
3.  More DIY equipment (maybe with a bit of editing – e.g. copper immersion chillers don’t work for fermentation)

This is unrelated and I haven’t looked at next month’s issue, but I miss the judge’s comments that use to be included with the different NHC winning recipes.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:10 pm »
This was probably already covered ( I'm a few months behind on my reading ) but I would like to see an article on HERMS/RIMS systems and brewing with these systems.

Also, maybe a in depth article on the process of preparing a bid for hosting the NHC, followed by what needs to be done during the actual conference.

Water is a great idea.  I'm eagerly awaiting the water book by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »

That would be cool. There is soooooooooo much conflicting information available that is either bad or just confusing.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:05:57 pm »
Update all of the Special Issues from the 1990s

Or perhaps reprint classic articles occasionally. Zymurgy has published some great stuff over the years.  Not everyone has access to the old issues.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »

you read my mind and I didn't even know I wanted this.   :o

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 08:11:37 pm »

That would be cool. There is soooooooooo much conflicting information available that is either bad or just confusing.

As long as it's done in a relatively scientific manner and not the "our one try did/didn't work therefore the myth is true/false" methodology that those clowns on TV use.
Joe

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 08:12:43 pm »
One more idea:  An issue dedicated to AHA Sanctioned competitions and judging with a spotlight possibly on clubs and how they support competitions and judging.

There's been a decent amount of interest in judging and this year's national competition saw unprecedented interest.  A nice, thick issue on the aspects of beer competitions would be very informative for a lot of folks.  A look into the BJCP program would demystify it for a lot of folks.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »
Please no more equipment issues :)... I'm sort of kidding.  For some reason, the annual DIY issue does not interest me at all.  What I would like to see is reviews.  I've been reading late 80's/early 90's Zymurgy's and really think that Their review section was great.  My thought is that you wouldn't want to offend sponsors now, but Colonel John was really honest back then.  If you guys could do that, I'd be pretty happy.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection