Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation  (Read 2885 times)

Offline tozzi20

• 1st Kit
fermentation
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »
Here is my problem, Im starting to homebrew in my apartment but it is always over 70 degrees in here. Ive been looking at getting a wine cooler but all the ones I can find only go up to 64 degrees. Any ideas on how to ferment?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: fermentation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:47:23 pm »
Get a used fridge or chest freezer. Then get a temp control device like this: http://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Freezer-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0002EAL58

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:06:40 am »
I can't think of when you would want to get over 64 degrees. And if you do a temp controller is the way to go!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:19:53 am »
I got a 7cf chest freezer and a controller last spring.  It isn't that big at (36x30x20)- thought it would have a larger footprint, but the freezer doesn't. Long and short of it all is that most people need something like this to brew consistent beer. And your beer will improve greatly. No doubt about that.

Make this investment.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:22:39 am »
Here is my problem, Im starting to homebrew in my apartment but it is always over 70 degrees in here. Ive been looking at getting a wine cooler but all the ones I can find only go up to 64 degrees. Any ideas on how to ferment?

Pick a yeast that's comfortable fermenting at higher temperatures, like a number of the Belgians. Then put the beer in a closet or somewhere where the temperature fluctuates the least.

Offline linenoiz

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:15:53 am »
A fermentation freezer and temp controller is an excellent option. Another option is to stick the fermenter in a tub of water and swap out frozen water bottles twice a day for the first few days. You don't get precise control, but it will keep the temperatures down, and it costs very little compared to a freezer and controller (not to mention the smaller footprint).

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
The wine chiller that goes up to 64 would be fine. Fermentation creates heat, so the actual wort temp would be 67-70ish. I'd use that and set it at 60-62 or so. Make sure your fermenter fits before you buy though.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:23:59 pm »
Did some testing with my actively fermenting beer and it was at the temp I set the controller at- not 5-6 degrees above. That is not to say that the common convention doesn't hold true, but is not the case with my freezer. One thing I did was put a computer-case fan in there to stir the air around so I think the fermenters' cooling is being assisted by convection.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:12:35 pm »
Did some testing with my actively fermenting beer and it was at the temp I set the controller at- not 5-6 degrees above. That is not to say that the common convention doesn't hold true, but is not the case with my freezer. One thing I did was put a computer-case fan in there to stir the air around so I think the fermenters' cooling is being assisted by convection.

The controller is maintaining the ambient temp low enough to counteract the heat of fermentation. 
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »
So is that to say that when I set the controller to 65 and the beer is at 65 (at high krausen) that the freezer is actually cooling below what I've set the point at? Yeah I can see that. It'll kick on and drop about 3 degrees in the compartment. But the beer is certainly at the set point temp all the time. F'ing amazing. Best thing I've ever done for my beer.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 03:42:04 am »
Get a thermowell for you temperature probe (i.e. probe is in the beer) and then set your freezer/fridge to the exact temp you want fermentation happening. That way you can be sure.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 04:09:55 am »
Get a thermowell for you temperature probe (i.e. probe is in the beer) and then set your freezer/fridge to the exact temp you want fermentation happening. That way you can be sure.

This.
 My previous answer assumes the beer temp is monitored, not ambient air temp. I use a thermowell. Others report affixing the probe to the side of the fermenter works also.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 01:46:11 pm »
Apartment, low tech solution is swamp cooler.  A large cooler or plastic tub with 3-5gal of water.  Add a frozen water bottle per day for low 60s, otherwise just the thermal mass of the extra water keeps the fermentation from heating itself above ambient.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO