Nishan Derbabian of Murfreesboro, TN, member of the Mid-State Brew Crew, won a gold medal in Category #6: Light Hybrid Beer during the 2011 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in San Diego, CA. Derbabian’s Light Hybrid Beer was chosen as the best among 272 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2011 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
$12 Cream Ale | Light Hybrid Beer
- 11.0 lb (4.99 kg) Briess two-row malt
- 0.75 oz (21 g) Willamette pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Willamette pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (30 min)
- 0.25 oz (7 g) Willamette pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (0 min)
- White Labs WLP051 California Ale V yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.054
- Final Gravity: 1.015
- ABV: 5.12%
- IBU: 20.7
- SRM: 3.6
- Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C) for 10 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 21 days at 60° F (16° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.6 vol).