Scott Lothamer, member of the Diablo Order of Zymiracle Enthusiasts (DOZE), earned a gold medal for “Brown-Eyed Women” in Category 9: Scottish and Irish Ale at the 2011 National Homebrew Competition. This sessionable ale is malt forward with a restrained hop profile, which reflects the indigenous ingredients of Scotland.
Brown-Eyed Women | Scottish Heavy 70/-
- 8.5 lb (3.86 kg) | British pale malt
- 3.0 oz (85 g) | roast barley
- 0.75 oz (21 g) | East Kent Golding hops (5% AA) at 60 minutes
- White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.040
- Final Gravity: 1.013
- ABV: 3.5%
- IBU: 16
- SRM: n/a
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Efficiency: n/a
- Pre-boil Volume: n/a
- Pre-boil Gravity: n/a
- Mash grains at 154°F (68°C) for 90 minutes.
- Add hops at beggining of boil.
- Cool wort, transfer to a fermentation vessel and pitch the appropriate amount of yeast.
- Primary Fermentation: 65°F (18°C)