John Jurgenson secured the title of 2006 National Homebrew Competition Cidermaker of the Year for his medium pétillant spiced cider he simply calls, “Spiced Cider.”
Spiced Cider | Other Specialty Cider/Perry
- 5.0 gal (19 L) pasteurized Knudsen's organic cider
- Cote de Blanc yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.050
- Final Gravity: 1.000
- ABV: 6.5%
- IBU: n/a
- SRM: n/a
- Boil Time: n/a
- Efficiency: n/a
- Pre-boil Volume: n/a
- Pre-boil Gravity: n/a
- Cider: After racking to tertiary, stabilize and clarify. Rack again. Sweeten to taste. I used ~4.5 teaspoons per pound of cider. Force carbonate to taste.
- Spices: Soak cinnamon and nutmeg in Everclear in seperate jars. Add spices to taste. I use 32 drops cinnamon and 8 drops of nutmeg per pound of cider.
- Primary Fermentation: 7 days at 70°F (21°C) in glass.
- Secondary Fermentation: 7 days at 70°F (21°C) in glass.
- Tertiary Fermentation: “it seems like a long time” at 70°F (21°C).
- "The blanace beckons you to drink more. All spices compliment the tartness of the apples in the finish. Beautiful."
- "I think you hit this one on the nose. Bright apple flavor matches clarity. Nutmeg, if there, merely adds to the complexity. I could drink this all night."