Dan George of Westerville, OH, member of the Scioto Olentangy and Darby Zymurgists (SODZ), won a gold medal in Category #11: English Brown Ale during the 2010 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Minneapolis, MN. George’s English Brown Ale was chosen as the best among 199 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2010 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Thomas Toes Mild | Mild Ale
- 7.0 lb (3.18 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 75L crystal malt
- 6.0 oz (170 g) chocolate malt
- 6.0 oz (170 g) Victory malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Carafa III
- 0.5 oz (14 g) East Kent Goldings hops, 5% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.25 oz (14 g) East Kent Goldings hops, 5% a.a. (15 min)
- 1 tsp Irish moss (15 min)
- White Labs WLP002 ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.037
- Final Gravity: 1.01
- ABV: 3.54%
- Mash grain for 60 minutes at 154° F (68° C). Include 1/2 tsp of gypsum in the reverse osmosis mash water. Sparge with 170° F (77° C) water. Include 1/2 tsp of gypsum in the RO sparge water. Collect 6.5 gallons of wort in the brew kettle. You should end up with 5 gallons of wort after the 90 minute boil.
- Primary fermentation for 7 days at 66-70° F (19-21° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.