- As the name implies, homebrewing is the hobby of brewing beer at home.
- It is an easy, fun, and rewarding activity (heck yeah it’s rewarding, you end up with beer!).
- Anyone who can make soup from a can is capable of brewing quality beer in their home (that means you can do it).
- Over 1 million Americans from all walks of life brew beer at home.
How Much Does It cost?
- Basic beginner equipment kits start around $80.
- Ingredients cost $25-$45 per 5 gallon batch depending on the style being brewed (5 gallons makes about 2 cases of 12 oz bottles, with 24 bottles per case).
What are the Ingredients Used to Make Homebrew?
Homebrew is primarily made from malt extract, malt, hops, yeast and water. See Basic Ingredients for descriptions of these brewing ingredients.
How Long Does it Take?
It will be about four weeks before you can drink the beer you make, but the actual time from boil to beer depends on the style of beer you're making.
- Brewing: 2 Hours
- Fermentation: 2 weeks
- Bottle Your Beer: 1 Hour
- Bottle Conditioning (allows beer to carbonate): 2-4 Weeks
Chill and drink your beer!!!
How Do I Get Started?
- Download a free copy of Zymurgy: An Introduction to Homebrewing, the American Homebrewers Association’s (AHA) free guide for beginning homebrewers.
- Visit your local homebrew supply shop (see Find a Supply Shop) to get a beginner equipment kit and the ingredients for your first batch of homebrew (see recipe in Zymurgy: An Introduction to Homebrewing).
- The AHA Homebrewopedia is an excellent wiki-based online resource for homebrewing information and recipes.
- There are many great books out there on homebrewing, check out the American Homebrewers Associations Recommended Reading.
- Join a homebrew club (see Find a Club). Clubs are an excellent source for homebrew knowledge and camaraderie.
- Join the AHA and enjoy all the benefits membership has to offer.