This recipe was taken from the Nov./Dec. 2001 issue of Zymurgy magazine. “Undried” hops refer to wet, freshly-picked hops. Because fresh hops contain moisture, they typically weigh 4-5 times more than dried hops. If you don’t have fresh hops, divide the amounts in listed below by 4-5 for dried hop amounts.
Russian River HopTime Harvest Ale | India Pale Ale
- 24 lbs (10.9 kg) | Rahr 2-Row Malt
- 1.5 lbs (0.7 kg) | Caramel 40
- 2 lbs (0.9 kg) | CaraPils Malt
- 3 oz (85 g) | Fresh, undried Chinook Hops (90 min)
- 14 oz (397 g) | Fresh, undried Cascade Hops (90 min)
- 10 oz (283.5 g) | Fresh, undried Cascade Hops (30 min)
- 16 oz (141.75 g) | Fresh, undried Chinook Hops (0 min)
- 2.5 oz (71 g) | Fresh, undried Chinook Hops (Dry Hop)
- 2.5 oz (71 g) | Fresh, undried Cascade Hops (Dry Hop)
- White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.065
- Final Gravity: 1.016
- ABV: 6.5%
- IBU: 60-70
- SRM: n/a
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Efficiency: n/a
- Pre-boil Volume: n/a
- Pre-boil Gravity: n/a
Mash at 154°F (68°C).
Fermenting and Conditioning
After fermentation, use fresh, undried hops as a dry hop in the secondary fermentor.