Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Kegging and Bottling / Re: Factors for keg carbonation rates
« Last post by goose on Today at 01:39:19 PM »
Also the rate of absorption of CO2 is lower the warmer the beer is.
All Grain Brewing / Re: Cologne Water Profile in Bru'n Water
« Last post by mabrungard on Today at 12:57:01 PM »
That profile is direct from the Koln water utility and it represents the quality from wells in the vicinity of the river and the old town. It is representative of what most of the Kolsch brewers would employ. Be aware that they all are using either saurergut or acid malt to neutralize the water supply's alkalinity.

The slightly elevated sulfate content in their water agrees with my perceptions of their Kolsch having a lightly drying finish to the substantial maltiness. It works.
All Grain Brewing / Cologne Water Profile in Bru'n Water
« Last post by swampale on Today at 12:11:11 PM »
I ran the latest Bru'n Water update and noticed Cologne in the water profiles section. Is this good for brewing a Kolsch or similar light ales?
Kegging and Bottling / Re: Factors for keg carbonation rates
« Last post by mabrungard on Today at 11:55:53 AM »
Carbonation can be virtually instantaneous, as witnessed at any soda fountain. However, that produces big, coarse bubbles. Fine carbonation is the result of hydration of carbon dioxide and that chemical process is time- and temperature-dependent. For those of us that put the keg into the cooler and put the gas on, its going to take a couple of weeks for the reaction process to complete. I suppose that we could speed the process by keeping the keg warmer while on the gas, but that might not be ideal for some brewers.

I don't believe that there would be a difference in achieving fine carbonation in smaller or larger kegs.
General Homebrew Discussion / Re: Hops Direct
« Last post by Osborne on Today at 08:12:36 AM »
I want to know that new knowledge. Where can I get this from, and can you recommend me?
General Homebrew Discussion / Re: First HomeBrew at Day 11
« Last post by Ortizer on Today at 12:35:45 AM »
I started my first ever homebrew 11 days ago. Irish Red Ale extract kit. On sunday I seen that there was no activity so yesterday and the day before I too samples and did a gravity test. Both days are the same.
I plan on doing another sample tonight to see what that says but the water in the air lock has not moved.
I tested both samples with 2 different hydrometers and I get different readings from each. (both read 1.000 with regular water). The new plastic one reads 1.006 and the old glass one reads 1.010. Either way they both read different OGs and I get the same ABV readings.

Question is, Wait to bottle, put in secondary, or just bottle now?
I have been doing a lot of reading and it seems unnecessary to put in a secondary just to risk oxidation and infection. Tasting the samples it is bitter with a tangy after taste. I hope that goes away a little bit.
Just looking for some advise on when I should bottle.
I'd just bottle it. As mentioned above, look up the priming sugar needed for the style rather than just throwing in what they find you in the kit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ingredients / Re: Mittelfrüh
« Last post by mabrungard on October 21, 2018, 11:29:27 PM »
In reading the Hop Book, there has been a move by brewers to have growers focus on essential oils and overall perception than on alpha levels in those finer flavor and aroma hop varieties. Get your IBU's from super alpha hops and your flavor and aroma from the finer varieties.

Anyone that tells you that you need or want to get many IBU's out of those fine varieties is wrong. I've found that keeping the total amount of finer hop additions about the same as when those varieties had more substantial alpha content and then bumping up the super alpha bittering addition to make up for the low alpha fine hops, keeps the vegetal (green) flavor in check.
« Last post by dmtaylor on October 21, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
Every season is a little different.

And anyway....

There's more to life than the IBU.

Stay thirsty, my friends.
Beer Recipes / Re: New Zealand Pilsner
« Last post by James K on October 21, 2018, 10:24:42 PM »
Bjcp says “Pale base malts, Pilsner or pale types, perhaps with a small percentage of wheat malt.” hence the 1#, just cuz.
Also for hops it says “Medium to high hop aroma reflective of modern New World hop varieties, often showcasing tropical fruit, citrus (lime, white grapefruit), gooseberry, honeydew melon, with a light green bell pepper or grassy aspect” so I guess avoid the fruit and go more melon, grassy like?
« Last post by James K on October 21, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
Again, MF ain't for alpha.   If you want something as close as you'll get but with higher alpha, try Hallertau Tradition.  It is pretty close, but of course it's not the same.  Better idea.  If you're trying to hit a certain bitterness and can't do it with the MF as is, you can try this.  Use the MF in late additions by weight as planned.   Get your bitterness with a clean bitter hop like Magnum,  and use some MF as FWH to round out the kettle hop flavor.  That's what I usually do with German Pilsner and Helles.
My idea of mittelfrüh for bittering is like 20 ibu. I do a lot of solo hops. It’s all flavor and aroma for me. Love the Nobel. Does AA affect flavor and aroma? Or does it come from something else?
Tbh. I don’t really like bitter beers. Anymore. I’ll drink them. But. They don’t do what they used to do for me.
I like your style though. I never fwh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10