Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Equipment and Software / Re: Female Quick Disconnect Lubrication
« Last post by Slowbrew on Today at 11:05:29 AM »
OP mentions heat, so I believe he is concerned with the stainless disconnects used hot side.

Good point.  I didn't process that part.

Paul
All Grain Brewing / Re: NEIPA Water Profile
« Last post by klickitat jim on Today at 10:39:15 AM »
.44 grams MgSO4 should be undetectable flavor threshold. But I would agree that, in theory, all grain brewing doesn't need Mg, the grain ought to bring enough to the party. I used it in my Distilled Water brews for quite a while and recently decided it's just not needed. I feel the same about NaCl. Funny how we start out simple, then go complex, then winnow it back toward simple again.
« Last post by klickitat jim on Today at 10:31:01 AM »
By the end of a double batch day, mine get a bit sticky. I think I'll try to remember the starsan spritz trick between mash and boil. It's always just the one that returns to the mash... the other one is always attached to a male.
All Grain Brewing / Re: NEIPA Water Profile
« Last post by majorvices on Today at 09:53:30 AM »
Yes you could call it butyric. I'm starting to think that the RO water could've been infected. I stored this water for 2 weeks in closed sanitized Fermenters but it's still 2 weeks at room temperature.

I highly doubt your water was infected. Even if the microbes were present I assume you boiled and killed them off.

You may have had an infection (pukey does sound like Butyric acid) but that would either occur during mashing (as in an extra long sour mash or kettle sour) or post boil.

The "chalky" sounds to me exactly what I get from too many of the NE IPA.
« Last post by Phil_M on Today at 09:25:24 AM »
Star san. You likely already have it nearby in a spray bottle...

I use these:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-steel-quick-disconnect-female-qd-12-mpt.html
https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-steel-quick-disconnect-male-qd-12-mpt.html

vs. the more standard cam-locks. I can attest they get kinda stuck sometimes, but a quick spray of star san is usually enough to free whatever is binding up.

If all else fails, the old garage trick of hitting it lightly with something works too. My guess is the locking balls don't always disengage when the collar is depressed, a light tap with a hammer (or just lightly drop the hose on something hard) usually works as good as star san.
General Homebrew Discussion / Re: no sparge method question
« Last post by klickitat jim on Today at 07:35:43 AM »
Or space in MT maybe
General Homebrew Discussion / Re: no sparge method question
« Last post by JT on Today at 03:12:31 AM »
The only advantage I see to breaking up the water additions of a no sparge batch would be to aid in temperature ramping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

General Homebrew Discussion / Re: No boil kits
« Last post by Brewmeisters on April 19, 2018, 11:58:57 PM »
No, i got to wash the 100+ bottles for the next couple of batches and prep to bottle before I left for work.  :'(
General Homebrew Discussion / Re: How's your LHBS doing?
« Last post by Brewmeisters on April 19, 2018, 11:57:14 PM »
I've got 2 LHBS in my area, ran by the same guy.
The only problem is, the hours. :(
I always have to look to the website to see where he is going to be on the day I'm going to be in the area.
Kinda frustrating, but at least I have them in the area, and he's very knowledgeable on brewing.
General Homebrew Discussion / Re: No boil kits
« Last post by Robert on April 19, 2018, 11:55:14 PM »
Agreed, it was just beer.
Nothing fantastic about it, this is the most empty I have ever felt after brewing a beer.
Yeah, but did you at least feel full after drinking the beer? ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10