Homebrewers Association | AHA Forum

General Category => General Homebrew Discussion => Topic started by: brewlikeamonkey on June 23, 2013, 06:41:53 PM

Title: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: brewlikeamonkey on June 23, 2013, 06:41:53 PM
So I made and experimental brew in the fall using a lot of Oval-tine and a bunch of other household groceries and once it was done fermenting it smelled terrible.  So terrible that I was not even brave enough to taste it so I decided to throw it out.  I seem to have forgotten to throw it out and it has been sitting in my basement in a glass carboy with airlock for months and now has mold on top of it.  I smelled it this morning and it actually smelled pretty good to me.  Should I taste it or get rid of it?  The mold scares me a little since I didn't add anything to the wort except US-05.
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: klickitat jim on June 23, 2013, 06:55:11 PM
Dude!
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: morticaixavier on June 23, 2013, 06:58:24 PM
Taste it.

it's not going to hurt you and it might be amazing. what does the mold look like?
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: amh0001 on June 23, 2013, 07:03:57 PM
I'm scared
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: erockrph on June 23, 2013, 07:11:15 PM
A) Nothing that grows in beer can kill you

B) Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Therefore:

C) Drinking this beer makes you stronger. Go for it!
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: klickitat jim on June 23, 2013, 07:31:26 PM
Ah, but is anything that grows in ovaltine bad for you?
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: ccfoo242 on June 23, 2013, 08:06:23 PM
I wonder what the other "household groceries" were? Beets! Nothing beats beets beer!
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: brewlikeamonkey on June 23, 2013, 08:09:33 PM
image of the mold-
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/E5qS19bf18uBatVHy08_7W6g2Fd1zIq-qovX1DSQALE=w155-h207-p-no
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: brewlikeamonkey on June 23, 2013, 08:14:42 PM
image of the mold-
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/E5qS19bf18uBatVHy08_7W6g2Fd1zIq-qovX1DSQALE=w155-h207-p-no
No beet, but I love beets so I will keep that on the back burner. ;)
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: denny on June 23, 2013, 08:38:24 PM
A friend once made a "beetweizen".  You couldn't really tell there were beets in it.
Title: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: majorvices on June 23, 2013, 09:47:31 PM
Dude!

+1
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: euge on June 23, 2013, 10:11:06 PM
Rack that beer out from under it and get on with your day.
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: HoosierBrew on June 23, 2013, 10:31:21 PM
Dude!

+1
+2
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: brewlikeamonkey on June 23, 2013, 11:49:27 PM
Tried it.  Pretty good and a little tart, like a sour beer.  Seems way low on alcohol and I sort of remember being low on the OG I was going for so I am not sure I will keep it.
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: morticaixavier on June 24, 2013, 02:38:58 PM
image of the mold-
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/E5qS19bf18uBatVHy08_7W6g2Fd1zIq-qovX1DSQALE=w155-h207-p-no

kinda looks like a pellicle to me.
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: redbeerman on June 24, 2013, 03:38:36 PM
image of the mold-
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/E5qS19bf18uBatVHy08_7W6g2Fd1zIq-qovX1DSQALE=w155-h207-p-no

kinda looks like a pellicle to me.

+1
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: reverseapachemaster on June 24, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
I also thought it looked like a pellicle.
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: AmandaK on June 24, 2013, 05:00:16 PM
A friend once made a "beetweizen".  You couldn't really tell there were beets in it.

A friend of mine made a beet beer - smelled like dirt, tasted like dirt but was this psychedelic purple color. It's become the stuff of local legend now.

But back to the OP... I like sour beers and all, but that picture doesn't inspire confidence. Looks pretty gnarly! 
Title: Re: Mold on wort, should I taste?
Post by: kylekohlmorgen on June 24, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
I think it looks like a pellicle - possibly with some mold growing on top (brown specs?).

Most times the pellicle keeps the mold out - I normally skim off any mold-like specs, but in a carboy I wouldn't risk stirring it up.

You could rack off - but I would just put an airlock on it and see what it tastes like 8 months or so!